Starter motor

Hi chaps, hope all the bricks are running fine !!!! I have a slight problem with mine. The starter motor sounds like it doesn't disengage in time on a cold start, every other start during the day it's fine, it's only first thing I get a noise off it once the engine fires, sounds like a screech of metal on metal for a second or two. I have an autobox 740 with the 2 litre engine. Is the starter motor easy to pull? Haynes is not very specific on this point (wish they still did the old type). When I do pull it, what should I look for? eg. does it need cleaned and lubricated on the bit that throws out when you engage the starter? Any tips most welcome.

Cheers, Stuart Gray

Reply to
Stuart Gray

It's held on by two 19mm bolts on the bellhousing, don't forget to disconnect the negative battery termal first though as you have a very heavy wire connected straight to the battery that must be disconnected as well. Generally quite easy to remove, though the bolts can be very tight, I usually have to hook a couple wrenches together to get enough leverage to break them free.

Reply to
James Sweet

My starter would not make contact with the flywheel on the first start of

Reply to
whippie7047