Starter or Fuel pump? - 740 Turbo Won't start

Disconnected battery cables. Cleaned TB, reassembled and shock: Tried to start the baby and no go. Engine does not turn. Fuses are fine. When turn ignition key can hear click in fuse / relay area (can't swear by any other sounds - don't think there are any, but doing it single-handedly makes it hard to listen all over). Engine does not turn. Checked and get 12 volts at starter. Checked other wires, including large ground connected to engine block - all fine. Get power to everything: all lights, radio, fan, wipers etc. Starter or fuel pumop at fault? Why would it go bad by just staying put for couple of hours? '87 740 B230FT Automatic. !!! THANK YOU !!!

Reply to
NVRosie

Sounds to me like a starter problem.

When you turn the key, it goes from the off position via the "radio" position, to the running position (instrument lights go on) over to the cranking position (where your starter should have started to turn). Question is: Exactly when do you hear the click?

If you hear the click as your key goes to cranking, it suggests that your ignition switch works. If you hear the click as you enter the running position, you may have a problem in the ignition switch.

Since you have an auto transmission, there is also a "neutral" switch at the transmission. It prevents cranking except when your lever is in neutral. Try rocking the lever back and forts with the key in cranking position. Might be a faulty neutral switch or a broken cable.

According to my schematic (for our '92 940) there are two cables at the starter. One (the big red one) always has +12 volts. Then there is a thinner one (blue/green) which gets voltage from the ignition switch. It is the thin one you should check (with key in cranking position).

Fuel pump cannot prevent cranking, and there are no fuses in the circuit (not an a '92 940, that is)

Reply to
Gunnar Eikman

Well if the engine doesn't turn then it's obvious the problem isn't the fuel pump, does wiggling the gearshift or placing it in neutral make a difference?

Reply to
James Sweet

Since you disconnected the battery cables, re-disconnect them, clean the mating surfaces and reinstall them.

Reply to
Mike F

Do you get 12Volts at the small wire on the starter solenoid when ignition is switched on and in start position?

Cheers, Peter.

: > Disconnected battery cables. Cleaned TB, reassembled and shock: Tried : > to start the baby and no go. Engine does not turn. Fuses are fine. : > When turn ignition key can hear click in fuse / relay area (can't : > swear by any other sounds - don't think there are any, but doing it : > single-handedly makes it hard to listen all over). Engine does not : > turn. Checked and get 12 volts at starter. Checked other wires, : > including large ground connected to engine block - all fine. Get power : > to everything: all lights, radio, fan, wipers etc. Starter or fuel : > pumop at fault? Why would it go bad by just staying put for couple of : > hours? '87 740 B230FT Automatic. !!! THANK YOU !!! : : Since you disconnected the battery cables, re-disconnect them, clean the : mating surfaces and reinstall them. : -- : Mike F. : Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont. : : Change cant to ca and remove parentheses to email me directly.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

THANK you all for helping! I got her started by shifting gear selector between Neutral and Park. However that continues to be the only way to start her up -changing rapidly from neutral to park with the ignition key in cranking position. What am I dealing with, and how do I fix it? Thanks so much again!

Reply to
NVRosie