steering wheel

I have just picked the car back from the garage for its alignment, and notice something unusual:

If I put my hand on the top of the steering wheel and turn it to either 2 o'clock or 10 o'clock, and release the steering wheel, it will roll-back to 12 o'clock automatically. But if I turn it to 3 o'clock, and release the steering wheel, I find it never roll-back automatically. It just keeps that position until I push the steering wheel backward myself.

Any ideas why this happened ?

BTW, This is a 1996 volvo 850 wagon of 89K.

thank a lot

Chun Ji

Reply to
chunji08

The short answer is the car needs to go back to the aligner to get that fixed. Several things can do that, but this time it is safe to say it was because of something they did.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Possibly one of the steering shaft universal joints is going bad. You can usually feel this in the steering as you're driving along - as they seize up, the steering feels crappy.

Reply to
Mike F

The way a steering wheel returns to center on its own is a function of the caster. On an 850, it is not adjustable. Just as the caster on a bicyle lets the wheel return in normal riding there is a point where the wheel will continue to turn increasingly more sharply in the direction it is pointed until the rider either corrects it back towards straight or crashes.

Bob

Reply to
User