strange behavior of V70 automatic 125 kW

Morning.

What could it be?

Last week I was cruising the highway at 180 km/h (110 mph) and want to pass an other car. So I made a kickdown. But the engine has roared but no acceleration took place. The car was going slower and slower. So I went to the emergency lane. At appr. 80 km/h (50 mph) the car came back to respond to the gas pedal. But only up to appr. 90 km/h (55 mph). Then the engine roars but no acceleration took place again. So I made a stop on the next lay-by. I've switched the engine off and did wait a minute. Then I've launched the engine again. And all was working fine. Since this has happened I've made more than 2'000 km (1250 miles) without any inconveniences.

But the uneasy feeling remains that probably the car wculdn't accelerate when I do really need it.

Has one of you an idea what the reason for the missing acceleration could be?

TIA and kind regards, Friedrich

Reply to
Friedrich Vosberg

Well around here you certainly wouldn't hear of one casually cruising the highway at 110 mph! That must be hard on the fuel economy.

From what you say, it sounds like the problem is in the transmission, since you mention the engine revs up. First things first, have you checked the fluid level? Does it look a nice clean red color or is it burned? You may have a worn out clutch pack in the transmission. Auto boxes do typically start to slip under load when they wear out.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thank you for your clear and impressive explanation. You are right, my oil is brown and old, and my Volvo is no race car. I'll exchange the oil next week.

Under normal circumstances I never drive my car with more than 75 mph. But when I have to go more than 500 miles, then you'll love the German Autobahn and push the kickdown.

Thanks again, and kind regards, Friedrich

Reply to
Friedrich Vosberg

Unfortunately it's probably too late if the fluid is already brown. It should be perfectly fine to reach those speeds for short periods of time, but to cruise like that has got to be hard on things.

Reply to
James Sweet