Strange "Clicking/cracking" noise when opening the front passenger door....

Getting a loud noise when opening the front passenger door of my '96 850 - somthing in the mechanism obviously just wondering if this was a dealer job or just needing a touch of grease..... Basically as you open the door you get a "CLICK!.......CRACK!...." and the reverse when you close it (not very scientific explanation but guess it explains it).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reply to
v56k

Best spray some WD 40 around the hinges before you think about dealers

Reply to
no

v56k declared:

On mine there is a small "double wheel" assembly visible in the door shut between the hinges. It has a metal "spring" that rocks over the wheels when you open or close the door, positioning the door. Put plenty of grease on the whole thing and the noise should stop.

Reply to
Bigjon

Many thanks for the replies - will get busy with the grease and WD tonight....

Reply to
v56k

Yes - check your A-pillar very carefully for cracks, grease the door stay and if that doesn't resolve it entirely, get a new one fitted ASAP.

There's a known problem with the door check straps on the 850, which if left untreated leads to the A-post cracking, requiring expensive welding repairs.

HTH,

AJ

Reply to
AJ MacLeod

What causes this isn't the spring but one of the teflon/plastic wheels being ground off to an oval shape. Creak-Creak. My 240 did that for well - the entire time I owned it.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

On the A pillar there is a 6mm screw with a T40 head that comes loose, on the door itself there are two 6mm screws with 10mm heads that come loose. As another poster noted there is a fatigue problem in the sheet metal surrounding the A pillar pivot that may result in cracking and require a body shop to reinforce/repair the area.

Bob

Reply to
volvowrench

Sounds like you have the dreaded door hanger rot. It may well need some welding to the hinge-mounts. Do it ASAP before the door becomes unhinged.

Cheers, Peter.

: > Any thoughts? : >

: > Thanks : :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

No, don't use WD-40. It's not, and never has been, a lubricant.

Apply a real grease; it's stay around. All WD-40 will do is wash away any grease left in the hinges; it's be quiet for a little while, until the WD-40 evaporates, then wear accelerates a great deal.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

reinstalled

Reply to
Mike M

Reply to
makntraks

The problem is not the A pillar rusting - it's failure through metal fatigue. The door stay mechanism doesn't work as it should and the pillar ends up being twisted repeatedly.

As far as I can see, the 850 is pretty good from a rust perspective - my '93 has two or three areas requiring attention, all from the paint having been damaged and not sorted in time (by P.O.) With the amount of salt and water on our roads, I'd say that's pretty good.

Cheers,

AJ

Reply to
AJ MacLeod

What is the method of repair for this . . and is the repair adequate to prevent the problem recurring?

| The problem is not the A pillar rusting - it's failure through metal | fatigue. The door stay mechanism doesn't work as it should and the pillar | ends up being twisted repeatedly. | AJ

Reply to
Jim Kelly

I No exactly what that is, You need a new check strap, the check strap is worn, other than that check the weld on the A piller where the Check strap joins the piller the weld might be broken

Reply to
Munki