Strange steering sensation (850 1993)

I have a strange steering sensation in my Volvo 850 1993. The feeling is that I have to steer more than usual to get the car to turn. From what I can tell there is no apparent play in the steering wheel, just this strange sensation. It is most apparent at slow speeds. It is a bit nerving to drive into parking lots etc. as I have to steer more than I think I have to steer.

Anyone have a clue on this? Is it me or the car acting up? :-)

I know that the sway bar links in the front need to be change. The car also feel a bit wobbly (side to side) It has new suspension (but the strange steering sensation could be felt even before the putting in the new suspension.)

Lars

Reply to
Lars E. Pettersson

The first thing to check is tire pressure. Aftre that, check for play in the tie rods.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

It could be the front tires, also. (Or your brain - the first sign of Mad Volvo Driver disease.) If the pressure is okay, a visit to a competent and honest tire dealer would be worthwhile.

My favorite spot check for alignment problems is to put a strip of masking tape across each front tire, sidewall to sidewall, and drive a mile or so on fairly straight road. If the tape wears unevenly, there is something that needs to be corrected.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Loose sway bar links won't cause any problems other than noise (at least until they get bad enough to break). Maybe whoever put on the "new suspension" left a bolt or 2 loose, or perhaps an alignment is needed.

Reply to
Mike F

Horribly misadjusted toe-in could probably cause that sensation. But the other suggestions given are probably a lot more likely.

Reply to
L David Matheny

This happened to my brother in law, if you open the hood and look for the steering linkage, there is a universal joint on the steering shaft that needs to be lubricated. Just squirt some oil on it and it clears up. You will see exactly what I mean when you look at the linkage. Let me know if this helps. Post here. Ian' Canada

Reply to
Ian Mac Donald