Studding tires

Can anyone tell me if you can insert the studs into a studdable tire (with or without a tool?

I'me thinking particularly of Nokian, probably Hakkapeliitta 2 or Nordman

  1. If a tool is required, is there a tool that can be purchased at the consumer level?

Thanks

Gerry

Reply to
gerry

I've only ever heard of tires being studded at the tire shop, they also won't do it to used tires for safety reasons or some such.

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

DIY stud kits exist for boots, I don't know about tires, the forces are a little bit different in size.

You should only stud new tires. Sand and dirt collects into the holes and the studs don't stay very well in old tires.

kiravuo

Reply to
Timo Kiravuo

I wanted to stud my tires but I only have mares on my tire farm.

blurp

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:12:14 GMT, the illustrious Timo Kiravuo favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

Yes, on new tires. The tool came with the studs I bought. I think I got everything from J.C. Whitney. The tool was a very simple tube shaped gadget. I remember loosing 90% of the skin on the heel of my right hand. It is best to take your time and wear gloves. Not a trivial task. It is strictly a brute force physical task. Studs are illegal in PA and many other states. They tear up the road but work great on ice. Are no help at all on snow.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Ow! My brain hurts from trying to picture that.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

does studding make a big difference? does it only work on a nice, snowpac road...or solid ice? will a volvo act "squirely" once you hit pavement & get up to speed (60-80mph)?......just wonderin' i have never used studded tyres on a car...richard / colorado

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Basically, the studs only help on glare ice. On dry pavement, the studs don't degrade performance, but are very noisy. They tear up the pavement very quickly. That is the reason they are banned in many states. On snow pack and packed snow, dedicated snow tires work the best. Studs don't help very much.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

steve...out of all your volvos...what one did you enjoy best (all around) and why?

"Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA, USA Owned '67,'68,'71,'74,'79,'81,'87,'93,'95 & '02 Volvos. The '67,'74,'79,'87,'95 and '02 through European Delivery."

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

The '71 1800E. The handling, acceleration, braking, great stereo system, comfortable leather seats, gas mileage, and cool exhaust sound were impressive. After 10 years, I sold the 1800E in '81 for exactly what I paid for it. The depreciation was zero. I sold it because it required leaded gas which was hard to get and because it was worth so much. The couple that bought it already had one and wanted another.

The 1800E had two draw backs: 1) since it had a quick steering ratio and didn't have power steering, it parallel parked like a truck and 2) the high beam indicator light was hidden behind the steering wheel. I installed a new high beam indicator lamp off to one side. Before I put in the new light, I was constantly coming over a hill or around a curve to an oncoming car and wasn't sure if my brights were on.

My second favorite was the '93 850. It was a quantum jump forward for Volvo. The handling, acceleration, braking, winter handling, fuel economy, and the great high-beams were a welcome improvement. I sold it in '01 because it had 180,000 miles on it and was still worth 30% of what I paid for it. The '01 XC70 is even better, but not as big an improvement. I do love being able to speed away from stops in wet weather with no wheel spin.

My third favorite was probably the first one, a '67 122 wagon. It was great to be able to buy a car in 1967 with good disc brakes that wouldn't fade in wet weather, a legendary safety record, peerless reliability, comfortable 3-point seat belts, superb handling and good gas mileage. I was coming off a '58 Mercury that was like driving a boat and its brakes were useless if they got wet. It had something fail on every major trip we went on and couldn't pass a gas station.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

nice Steve...thanx for the tips and insight...i am thinkin' bout my next volvo....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^