Suspension question

I have a 98 S70 T5 SE with 178,000 kms on it. I find it is starting to ride a little harder and was wondering if it's worth spending $ on replacing suspension components to improve the situation. In a nutshell, where would you start (and it what order)and how far would you go? If one was to replace everything, would the car ride like a new one again? I intend on keeping it for many years.

Thanks,

Peete

Reply to
Peete

It's probably about time for shocks, struts, and at least some of the bushings. Replacing those should have it riding like a new car, though the T5s always had pretty stiff suspension and most of the aftermarket stuff is geared towards making them stiffer.

Reply to
James Sweet

If it is actually riding harder I would look first at the tires. If the tread is has more than half gone or if there is uneven wear and they are run at a high pressure the ride could be quite harsh.

Reply to
Roadie

Because of our "beautiful" road conditions (Québec), it is near impossible to maintain high air pressure. However, I will have my mechanic look at the suspension components and see what he has to say first. The old "push down on the corner of the car to see if it bounces back" doesn't seem to indicate a problem at the shock absorber level, but again, I am no expert. Thanks for your thoughts. If anyone has any other suggestions, they are more than welcomed! :-)

Reply to
Peete