Texas used car sales tax rate?

?? I know what the general state sales tax rate is, but is different for a private party selling a used car to another private party?

Reply to
geronimo

As far as I know, there should be no taxes collected between private parties. When the buyer registers the vehicle, all taxes are paid then.

Believe me, Texas will get the tax - they will get the tax. By the way, did I mention - they will get the tax. ;-)

ger> ?? I know what the general state sales tax rate is, but is

Reply to
Jamie

Yea, I know I pay the tax due when I take care of regisration and title transfer at county office. THe general sales tax rate in Texas is now an incredible 8.25 %. My question is, when I pay the state sales tax at the county office , what is the rate? is it something less, or is it the full 8.25% ?

Until just a year or two ago, the buyer didn't have to have a signed form filled out by the seller stat>As far as I know, there should be no taxes collected between private

Reply to
geronimo

I purchased two used cars here in Texas from private parties in the last 12 months. Each time all I did was appear at the Tax Office, fill out the form they required, and write in whatever I say I paid for it. No proof is required, no bill of sale, nothing. Now, they may be taxing me on some "book value", but as far as I know they are not.

Maybe in Austin they are more strict and have different local rules. I was there a few weeks ago, got to stay at the Driskill at 6th and Brazos. Luckily they accept state rates and we got the room cheap. Needless to say, after a week there, I needed a vacation from my trip.

Luckily I lived in New Orleans before here - so I know how to handle my liquor (most of the time) ;-)

ger> Yea, I know I pay the tax due when I take care of regisration and

Reply to
Jamie

In article , wrote: [ ... ]

No, they just shifted the lying from the buyer to the seller.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

The greedy vultures in Austin are oil barrons who years ago were granted land by the state of texas university system. as luck would have it, this barren waste that was granted produced lots of oil. Thus UT of Austin + mucho dinero.

Today, a thriving college town with a flourishing industry, overpriced housing and tens of thousands of college kids buying Volvos and trying to save a buck. Can you blame them?

PS: I love Austin, and the BATS are cool!