that little recessed button on the instrument cluster

I am trying to figure out what that recessed button does on the far right of the instrument cluster of my '91 240. It runs through a conduit behind the cluster to the back of the speedometer. The button is recessed, so I presume it is not for mere mortals to push, but is reserved for the high priests of the repair shop. My manual says nothing about it, in fact, it is not even visible in the diagrams of the manual.

What the....?

Larry

Reply to
Larry

It resets the Service light that comes on every 5000 miles to remind you to change the oil.

Reply to
James Sweet

Interesting, in the UK it's 10,000 miles.

The oil companies sure do love you guys! :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

And I bet it's imperial miles too! :)

You know for 20-30 bucks it makes me feel so much better.... The shrink is >100 too

Reply to
Steve

It may be 10K, I don't really know, I've always just removed the bulb since I change oil a bit more frequently and find that if people go by the light they don't even check their oil between it coming on.

Reply to
James Sweet

Psst, they're the same ;)

Reply to
David Taylor

Hi David,

Here in Canada it's 16 000 Kilometres (at least for the later 240's) which is about 10 000 miles. Even so........... the oil companies don't love us. Their fuel prices have sky-rocketed (relatively speaking!).

Andy I.

| > Interesting, in the UK it's 10,000 miles. | >

| > The oil companies sure do love you guys! :) | >

| > David. |

Reply to
brackenburn

But who is paying the money? Take a look, who is doing better now then pre Bush II?

Weapons makers Mercenaries (outsourced contractors, sorry) Drug companies Bankers Oh! and one other...

Oil companies--their profits are up, and everyone is happy--if you have oil stock!

The silver lining is that this is the crisis that will at last start the US changing our energy policies.

I might say big deal, 10 or 20 bucks a week more for fuel--and lets be honest that's all it is if you do not drive too much (12-15,000 miles a year) it's still enough to hurt a bit and gee its one factor leading to my buying a used Volvo for 2-3000 bucks rather then a new whaever to 30 large that I might not want 8 or 10 years down the road, but which will be a big loss if new technology renders low MPG cars less desirable.

The 06 330i is said to get in the 30's on the road. With some minor sacrifice I think Tokyo, Germany, Korea and the minor producers like Detroit can get 15-20% more MPG's. Tires to roll easier rather then to impress kids, less torque and HP, more cylinder deactivation (since engines are most efficent going flat out a 4 cyl might be able to lose 2 cyl during 60 MPH flat road steady state cruise, and a 6 surely could lose 3!

It's going to take 30 years for wind, solar, biomass etc to make much of adent, but they will in time--GE does not invest in markets going nowhere!

Reply to
Steve

All of that from a question about a little button....

Reply to
geotek

I thought the service reset button was on the back of the speedo.

It depends on the year and model, old 240's have it in a separate box, the newer ones have it in the front of the cluster, some years may have it on the back of the speedo but you might be thinking of a different car, my Ford had it on the back of the speedo.

Reply to
James Sweet

Actually it's a little lever. The button on the front is one end of a flexible rod that runs in a tube; the other end of which pushes up against the lever to reset the Service Reminder Light counter.

Bob

Reply to
User