Three different questions about a 1980 240 DL

First off I have a 1980 240 DL that I'm doing some work on. I was pokin' around underneath the drivers side dash and found a small metal hatch that can be opened and closed about an inch or so. I haven't the slightest idea what this is. It looked like some kind of ventilation opening, but I couldn't see any vents on the outside to speak of.

Secondly, I was trying to fix my fasten seat belt signals and I got to the point where the signals work, but only when I touch the negative terminal (which connects through the rear center console lightbulb) to a piece of metal. I thought this was perhaps a grounding issue, but I couldn't find a place where grounding may have been before. I was also confused because even when I plugged both seat belts in and had the bulb grounded it stayed on. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Lastly, this is kind of a general, looking for parts type question. I am in need of the two panels that go under the dash on the drivers and passengers side. they attach with clips to cover up wiring and such and without it my car looks fairly crappy. Any information would be appreciated.

Reply to
Mwveenhu

in particularly wet climates, seal shut as it could lead to water getting onto the footwell.

I don't know about the second issue, other than perhaps there is a short inside of the buckle where it clips - but if touching the center console light has an effect, you may be onto something there. Does that bulb work?

Your third issue sounds like a trip to the parts yard.

Jamie Mwveenhu wrote:

Reply to
Jamie