Timing Belt: Mileage versus time period

My 97 960 only has 40K miles. According to the owner's manual, I don't need to change it until 70K miles. There is no mention of number of years.

Should I really wait until 70K, or should I do it this year as the car will be 7 years old? Time and mileage are two factors that deteriorate a car components.

Thanks.

Reply to
Sammy

If in doubt, change it, it's cheap insurance and you'll be kicking yourself if you don't and it breaks.

Reply to
James Sweet

Don't wait.

Indeed.

I have a very-low-mileage '95 850T (still only 62,000 km (7,000 mi) as of today). When I took it in (to the dealer) for its 45,000 km (',000 mi) service in August of '01, the mechanic, noting the car's age, advised me that Volvo says every five years for that belt, regardless of distance driven. (And what's more, he said that here, in the frozen north--I live in Finland--the local guys actually recommend every _four_ years, because of the harsh climate.)

Specifics may be different for the 960 but it's certainly worth asking your mechanic about. Broken belt = costly repair.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Should I ask the dealer to look at the water pump or anything else while he is in the neighborhood?

I know with the 240, when I change the timing gear belt, I always ask to change the water pump at the same time. I had two water pumps died on me while driving and I'm not interested to have it happen again.

Does the 960 suffer from the same weakness?

Thanks

Reply to
Sammy

Reply to
Edward Hayes

As a Volvo Master (91,92,93), I would recommend changing the timing belt every 50k miles. The factory recommendation of 70k miles is under normal driving conditions. Towing, mountainous driving, or a heavy foot on acceleration decrease the life of the belt. The maximum life of the belt should be thought of as 5 years. The B21, B23, B230, and B230F are all non-interference engines which means if the timing belt does break or strip, no damage is done to the head or valves. But if it happens a hundred miles from nowhere, the tow bill alone will stretch your budget. Front seals are another problem which should be addressed when changing the belt. You should only pay an additional 1/2 hour to replace the front seals. There is no milage for replacing them, but if in question do it at the same time. Also the flame trap should be replaced every 30K miles. It is like the PCV valve on a domestic car. If it is clogged, the pressure in the crankcase can blow the front seals out and also the rear main seal. The front seals can only go so far before being stopped by the pullys, but the rear main seal can blow all the way out, emptying all the oil in less than a minute. Turbo equipped cars do not have a flame trap. Also, the waterpump is normally only good for about 4 years. Even if the shaft seal isn't leaking, the top seal deteriorates at which time the pump should be replaced. Here are the shop times for the work: Timing Belt 2.5 hrs Timing Belt plus seals 3.0 hrs Water Pump 2.0 hrs Timing Belt Plus Seals Plus Water Pump 4.0 hrs

These are the prices I pay for parts: Timing Belt 33.33 (Volvo) Front Seals(3) 35.50 (Volvo) Water Pump 48.60 (After market) If any shop charges over 30% more, be suspect. I have done 3 sets of belts, pumps and seals in the last 2 weeks. I know this seems kind of long winded, but I hope it helps all of you 2,7, and 9 series owners who have had these same problems.

"Edward Hayes" wrote in message news:QgN%b.50156$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Reply to
Rod Gray

I would change it now. Not that hard to do and the consequences of a failed belt are to horrible to risk.

John

Reply to
John Horner

(Please don't top post--it can make things very confusing. I have tried to straighten out this thread.)

Thanks, Rod. Not long-winded at all, and a point that needs to be made even in regard to the non-interference engines.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Thanks Rod. I printed your post.

About the front seals, could you be more precise please? I'm a beginner with those mechanical things.

Thanks

Reply to
Sammy

Not that it belongs to this thread, but just a comment about top posting: It gets confusing when replies are given in both top and bottom, but I think top posting is easier that is if you are following the debate in a thread you actually dont have to read the bottom part, and therefore, when using Outlook, no need to scroll down to get to the new post. Also I guess its a matter of habbit. At my work we all use top posting in our daily communcation.

Per Hauge

"Henry" skrev i en meddelelse news:1g9vb0w.1gu3lmyzu6lq8N% snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net...

Reply to
Per Hauge

Ah, but that's a big 'if' .

Many times it happens that you don't come upon a thread until there are already three or four or more messages in it. In that case, it is clearly easier to start at the beginning and work your way down.

Another thing that people need to remember is that good _snipping_ is essential as well.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Reply to
GamePlayer No. 1058

Most of the newsgroups I visit, including the ones at my workplace, prefer 'bottom-posting' for some reason (not that it makes much of a difference to me, personally) Quite often, *they" will jump all over you for not using proper 'netiquette' if you "top-post", so I wonder what the standard really is. Does it vary among newsgroups?

Reply to
Aleric

There are 3 oil seals under the timing belt cover. The camshaft seal, the intermediate shaft seal (both the same), and the crankshaft seal.

Reply to
Rod Gray

Hi sammy,

Don't take the risk : I let time go by on my 940 gle 16v, a european edition with collison cyliders, and it happened : broke the belt while running .;;;a 5000 EUROS (yes ive thousand euros, ie 6000 USD ) repair at volvo dealership in Paris, France.

is it worth saving 150 euros for belt change, regarding repair costs .....

NO

C u vince

Sammy a écrit:

Reply to