Timing Belt on a 960

I have a 94 960. Is that an interference engine? I bought it used and the indy shop quotes $250 to do a timing belt. Should I take a shot at it myself?

Reply to
inLA

Yes it is, not sure how hard it is to do the belt, I'd dig in myself but you may wanna just take it to a shop if you're not sure. Either way don't procrastinate.

Reply to
James Sweet

Not sure if it's an interference engine, but as for the price of that timing belt, here's a bit I got from one Robert Ludwick, a very trustworthy small-scale indy out in Arkansas regarding a customer's 960 sedan:

"Just in case anyone thinks that $4-500 to get a timing belt on a diesel [240 series D24 diesel] is a daunting price, check out what they are getting to replace a timing belt on a 960 gas burner. Most shops are charging between $275-375 . and that job requires no special tools at all and only takes about an hour ( I just did one on a customer car , but I couldn't charge the lady more than $70 with a clear concience)"

He called the local dealership... they wanted $680. $250 sounds reasonable... but if only you had a Robert Ludwick in your neighborhood. ;)

-Mike

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak

Yes, the six cylinder engine is an interference design. If the belt breaks you will indeed trash the head and valvetrain pretty well. On this engine you stand a fair chance of wreaking havoc with the bottom end as well. It's not a very forgiving, or cheap, motor.

Should you take a shot at changing the timing belt? If you want to, I suppose. If you're comfortable doing it.. why not? Supposedly it's even easier than changing the belt on a B230. Check out the 960 FAQ on the brickboard for more information.

- alex

'85 244 Turbo

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Twenty minutes to do. easy job, but be careful of the belt tensioner as it needs pushing back into the housing, too quick and it will damage it. Other than that its not tricky.

John

Reply to
john

It's an interference engine

it is a very expensive interference engine

get it done NOW, especially if you have owned the car since 1994, or if you have no service records.

250 doesn't seem horrid, but do it yourself, if, as others have said you are comfortable with the operation.
Reply to
Rob Guenther

It certainly is an interference engine. Should make no difference to cost of cambelt replacement though.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Reply to
Patrick

No, but it sure does make a difference to the cost if you don't replace it in time! $300 sounds pretty reasonably when you consider it'll probably cost you $3000 if you neglect it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Well go check out the 960 FAQ on the brickboard.

There are a variety of change intervals depending on the year,

20k, 30k, 50k (maybe), and 70k miles come to mind.

- alex

'85 244 Turbo

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The original replacement interval for B6304 engines was 30,000 miles. However at a later date (IIRC before yours was made) they introduced a different belt specification which allowed replacement at 70,000 miles intervals. Shame on the person you bought your car from as he should have handed over the owners handbook when he sold you the car. The owners handbook may be viewable/downloadable from the VOC website in *.pdf format. URL is

The only manual you can obtain at reasonablecost is the Chilton 72302 which covers several models including 960 and S/V90. Cheers, Peter.

: >it is a very expensive interference engine : >

: >get it done NOW, especially if you have owned the car since 1994, or if you : >have no service records. : >

: >250 doesn't seem horrid, but do it yourself, if, as others have said you are : >comfortable with the operation. : >

: >>

: >

:
Reply to
Peter Milnes

The original was 20k miles, the 93s got a 30k mile belt (and the 92s were supposed to be retrofitted with the damper that allowed the 30k intervals), and I believe that between 94 and 98 the belt went under a few different revisions to eventually increase the interval ot 70k miles.

This is all documented here (the Brickboard's 960 FAQ):

Indeed the 94s got yet another design (50k mile interval), and the 95 redesign saw the final 960 design that yeilded 70k mile intervals. I believe the S80 may very well be up to 100k miles.

- alex

'85 244 Turbo

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Reply to
Patrick

Yah we've got a 93, its the 30K mile (45K Kms) belt. Its been done at 42K Kms, 91K Kms and at 128K Kms.

Rob Guenther

It's never a matter of can it be done.. if you can stuff the T6 engine into a 240.. or a 302 into a Miata.. or an SHO V6 into a Fiesta.. you can stuff a T6 into a 960.

It's more.. just how much work do you want to put into it? :)

- alex

'85 244 Turbo

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Yes it's definitly possible, it's certainly not a drop in and go type swap though, it'd be a long and expensive process.

Reply to
James Sweet