timing belt replacement

We are about to purchase a '96 960 wagon with 108k on it, in excellent condition (rap wood). The timing belt was replaced at 70k. I have been quoted between $300 and $350 to replace the timing belt the next time around (I believe it would be due at 140k)....but one mechanic insists that you gotta also replace everything related to it, such as tensioners, or you risk destroying the engine. Others, including a Volvo dealer, made no mention of such a requirement. Would appreciate any discussion on this. Best, Art

Reply to
Art McGinn

Replacing the tensioner is not required, but probably advisable.

Like frequent oil and filter changes, it is a form of insurance.

Reply to
zencraps

I've heard that, while not absolutely necessary, it's the prudent thing to do. Also the water pump since that has to come off to get to the belt.

Reply to
mdrawson

Definately replace the idler, tensioner roller and water pump.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Reply to
mlywly

Why would you need to remove the water pump to replace the timing belt?

Reply to
zencraps

This is a leftover from late-200/700/940 with B200/230 engines and should be unnecesary on 960/850 with lowish mileage. However it is a wise precaution on higher mileage cars as the water pump DOES wear out before the engine will..

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

I recall one post here last year (?) from a fellow who replaced the timing belt but not the water pump in his 850 The water pump seized and did horrendous damage to the engine. It was largely in response to that post that I have changed my view from "maybe change water pump" to "always change water pump" in engines that have a timing belt driven water pump. Since then I have seen a couple more posts in the Honda forum regarding seized water pumps and valve crashes.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It's the other way around; you'd have to remove the timing belt to replace the water pump. Since the incremental cost of doing the water pump is relatively small, it's a good investment to go ahead and replace it when the timing belt is already being taken off instead of risking having to do all the work again just to replace the pump.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Looks like this job, done right, is in the $600-$800 range depending on how lucky you are in finding a truly competent, truly honest mechanic (rare as a winning lottery ticket in my 50 years of looking but I haven't given-up hope). One mechanic says some owners quietly dump cars just ahead of the timing-belt-change time to dodge the expense (which might make sense with some vehicles). Skol...

Reply to
Art McGinn