timing marks on b230f engine (1990)

Hello, I just got done rebuilding my B230f, and am just putting everything back onto it, but I noticed something funny about the timing marks, specifically, the one on the crankshaft. The nub you are supposed to line up is in between teeth on the belt, so you have to choose between slightly before the mark or slightly after the mark. When I line up the cam and intermediate shaft sprocket marks with the timing belt marks and the static marks on the engine, the crankshaft is not at top dead center. It's either a little BTDC or a little after. At first I thought it was because the distributor is still tightened down (nevber moved it). But that makes no sense. No matter where the distributor is, I should be able to line up all three marks perfectly. But they jus don't line up all that great. I guess my harmonic balancer could have shifted slightly, but it's so close, that doesn't seem relevant... but I guess that's how it starts, eh. Little by little until the timing mark is nowhere near anything it should be.

By the time you read this I will have started her already, and may have figured it out, but I just wanted to check if anybody else ran into the sam conundrum.....

sanks

Reply to
lolo

lolo