Tires for 2003 S60

I need tires for my wife's S60. The size is 215 / 55 R 16. We live in So California, so no snow or rough roads. In fact she mostly drives just around town. I'm looking for something with a good ride and not too expensive. Not cheap, just not over the top.

Any advise would be great! Thanks!

Reply to
Gummy Mummy

If they have that size, Hankook makes a very good all-season tire that's reasonably priced. We got the higher-rated version for about $65 per tire. They also make a less expensive version with which I have no experience, but I imagine it would be adequate for your needs. Goodyear

*used to* make good tires, but they've "outsourced" their production, and now the things crumble at the sealing bead long before they even get worn.
Reply to
mjc1
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

With my 225hp Volvo 850 T5 Autom. I got 55K miles and had another couple of millimeters left. Todays car weigh 4000-5000 lbs and have 200 hp+. Think about it.

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

The original poster asked for suggestions for quality *inexpensive* tires for tame, local driving in a mild climate. Let's not lose sight of that. I stick by my suggestion regarding Hankook tires.

Reply to
mjc1

Inexpensive is not simply the purchase price:

Cost/mile ist the key!

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

You are assuming that the Hankook tires wear out quickly. They don't. We have been using them for years, now, and they wear as well as the Goodyears we bought before the "outsourcing." In "cost per mile" these Korean tires vastly outperform your overpriced tires, and they do it while handling well and not making much noise. Indulge your fetish if you like, but don't present it as common sense. BTW, my Civic Si came with Michelins on it from the factory, and they were crap - they all either went flat or broke belts. I had to replace them all with Bridgestones.

Reply to
mjc1
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

It is an '86, so not much over 2000lbs. Not exactly a good recommendation for the Michelins! If you are thinking I put the Hankooks on that, the answer is "no." We used them on our hefty Volvo 240, and put a set on our even heavier Camry wagon last year. They are good, reliable tires, at a good price, from a country (S. Korea) that has unions and labor standards.

Reply to
mjc1

In your dry and slow environment you may be staisfied with the Korean brand. In Europe these tiyres have no market share.

The difficult weather conditions and the fast traffic in Central Europe require more performant tyres.

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

We only buy all-season tires with an agressive tgread pattern, so we can use them with snows in the Winter. The Hankooks have one, and are fine in rain.

Reply to
mjc1