Trade -in value

Why is it that the dealers never come close to the Kelley Blue Book value when giving me an estimate for the trade-in value of my car? Even though the car is being replaced by another Volvo, has been serviced at this dealer, and is in perfect condition, they pull out a number that is more than $3K less ($9,000 vs. $12,500 on a 'good' condition estimate) from a little book that they claim represents the price they pay at auction, etc.

My worst experience of this was yesterday when the dealer blasted out an email touting end of month inventory sale, directed me to the Blue Book site to get an 'estimate' for the trade, promises to pay top dollar, and then once you're in the door -- totally different.

Is this a negotiating point, or are the Kelley numbers altogether irrelevant?

Reply to
shs

They do use the Kelley or Edmunds book value. The problem is that there are books values for:

1) wholesale (trade-in value) 2) private sale (no implied warranty) 3) dealer sale (writen warranty)

Take a look at

or

Within each category the value depends upon the area of country and the car's condition. The condition is primarily determined by visual condition and running condition; what a person sees and experiences when they drive it.

There can be a factor of 3 difference between the wholesale value and the dealer resale value. You always make out better with a private sale. If you don't want to do a private sale, the dealer probably doesn't want to sell your car either. We always sell our used Volvos privately and they always sell to the first person to look at them for what we ask. We always ask the book value. I would never trade in a Volvo.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

my $ 0.02.....never sell your "nice volvo" to a dealer... you will come out waaaay ahead sellinf private...it may delay your transaction a week, or two...but, well worth the $ saved...now, if the car has "problems"...that's a different story.....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Sometimes a trade to the dealer can be good; In Canada, if you trade in, the value of the car can be traded off against the GST you'll pay (goods and services tax) on the new car, and that can save alot of green. An example; If you get 2k less from the dealer for your car than you would on a private sale, but you pay less in tax for the new one, it can be a good deal. Plus you won't have the hassle of listing, showing etc. Definitely worth crunching the numbers before going to the dealer. Also, don't even mention to the salesman/woman that you have a trade in until AFTER you've settled on the price of the new car. If they ask, say no.

RS

Reply to
Rusty

Reply to
Roger Habeck

hummmm...that's interesting rs ...thanx for the info...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

from a 15 year experienced car salesman/manager Go in an negotiate you price saying you do not have a trade. Then say you wanna trade in you pristine volvo and say let me see the book. We make more off trades than a retail sale. Dealers work out of the black book to buy and the yellow( nada) to sell.. Look at the bootom line. If I offer 32k on the new and 12k on your trade = 20k diff. My buddy in the next town says 40k on the new and 18k on your trade "k diff Where is the deal and which makes you feel bettet ? old trick AJ

Reply to
here