Trans fluid change on S40

I have a 2000 (US) S40 and want to service the transmission. The problem is, one parts store says they have a service kit, but the part numbers look odd, NAPA says that they can't find any info, and the local dealer is a bit confused (says there appears to be no pan gasket) and needs to figure out which filter is right and call me back. Does the trans just have a drain plug and no need to replace the gasket, but then how do you replace the filter? Anybody out there have the answers?

Reply to
Steve Bernth

I am planning on doing it myself, but even the VOLVO dealer's parts department doesn't seem to know what part(s) are needed to do the job. That is why I'm asking if someone here has done it before. I don't want to get into the job to find out that I don't have all the parts that I need.

Reply to
Steve Bernth

Reply to
John Robertson

Are you sure it's serviceable? We just bought a new XC70, and the 1st thing I looked for when I checked under the hood was the trans dipstick. Surprise - it's not there! The trans on the V70/XC70 is not serviceable in the traditional sense, and the filter/fluid never needs changing.

Reply to
metsfan

On my V70 there is no filter, and no pan. Just the drain plug. If your fluid is not discoloured, just drain what comes out and put the same amount back in. Your transmission may need the special Volvo only oil at (in CDN) $16 per litre!

Reply to
Mike F

Or you can look for Royal Purple ATF, it synthetic and should more than do the job.

Reply to
Scott

There is no trans pan gasket or filter to replace. At least not one you can replace with out disassembling the trans. There is only a drain plug gasket. Just make sure you get the right flud from your dealer.

Reply to
volvoguy