TRANSMISSION 1993 850

I knew it was coming after reading this newsgroup. But I was too slow in dumping the car. Just got a new (rebuilt) transmission. $2,700. after recently replacing the evaporator at about $1,200. I pushing $5,000 this year in maintenance costs. I'm going back to Japanese cars.

Reply to
res0t3iu

My '93 has only about 105,000 miles. It has been to the dealer every

5,000 miles for all recommended services, including the so called transmission "power flush". This was done as a result of the mechanic noting that the transmission oil was "dirty". That was about a year or two ago. I'm sure, as I thought at the time, it was a sign of impending failure. Anyway, there we no other obvious warning signs. When the failure actually occurred, the transmission would "chatter" as I pulled away from a stop. The clutches/bands were slipping between shifts if I put much stress on them. It wasn't catastrophic and I was able to feather foot it over to the dealer with no slippage at all. On the positive side, the new transmission operates more smoothly and is a real improvement. Norm

"emmit" wrote:

Reply to
res0t3iu

No. It had had all scheduled maintenance and worked perfectly.

It acted like it was out of fluid. It would go a ways if you reved up the engine. Then it finally wouldn't move at all.

145,000 miles and it was in perfect condition. I kept it until it had 185,000 mile and then sold it for $5,000 and got a V70 XC.
Reply to
Stephen M. Henning