Transmission Leak Question

Hi all,

I am finally having my first garage-worthy problem with my 1988

760GLE.

I've been going through transmission fluid at a rate of about 2-3 litres per week (!!!) and I finally got under the car this morning to see what the problem was. A leak, of course. It seems sprayed all over the area where the drive shaft connects to the transmission and the joint there is soaked in fluid so my diagnosis is that this seal has given out. There is some mention on the Mitchell CDROM that a plugged vent can also cause fluid to be forced past the seal so there are two possible causes that I need to investigate.

First question: What is the actual proper term for this seal? I know where the differential meets the driveshaft there's a "pinion seal" but what's the seal at the other end?

Second question: Is there some way I can determine if the vent is plugged without getting under the car again? And if the vent is plugged would you advise that, once the seal has been compromised, I should replace it anyway?

The local garage I'm looking at trying for the first time (at Mount Pleasant and Davisville in Toronto...anyone have a review?) told me I could bring it in tomorrow morning so I'm mainly looking for some intelligence before walking in there.

Thanks for reading this, blurp

Reply to
blurp

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:42:47 -0500, the illustrious blurp favored us with the following prose:

Here's another possible issue: both the owner's manual and the Haynes manual specify Type F transmission fluid (and that's what it's been getting). The Mitchell CDROM, however, says that "If Type F is used the clutches may be damaged".

Any thoughts?

blurp

Reply to
blurp

That's the transmission output shaft seal. The output shaft is supported in a bushing, not a ball or roller bearing. What usually happens is the bushing wears, then the output shaft moves up and down too much, and the seal fails. You'll probably need to have the bushing replaced as well as the seal.

Your transmission should be using Dexron, not type F.

Reply to
Mike F

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:40:23 -0500, the illustrious Mike F favored us with the following prose:

Thanks, Mike.

There are few words to describe how stupid I feel right now and, based on my actions, most of them would be an insult to people with diminished mental capacity.

My Haynes manual says to use Type F on cars up to 1983... my 240 is an

83 and I'm so used to looking for that qualifier that I must have mixed it up and misread that THIS car (a 1988) took Type F.

Oooops. I've poured in (and through) about 6 litres of Type F and one bottle of Lucas Transmission sauce (or whatever it's called).

So what damage am I likely to have done or what damage am I likely to have accellerated? I'm getting the seal looked at tomorrow, should I get the flush/fill right away to avoid any further damage between now and then?

Thanks again, blurp

Reply to
blurp

You probably didn't do any damage so quickly, just flush it out with the right stuff and it'll be fine (aside from the seal and bushing of course)

Reply to
James Sweet

If it hasn't been misbehaving, don't worry about it. The Lucas auto tranny stuff is pretty good, and maybe that helped the situation. Drive it gently to the shop and you should be okay.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

From what I understand, and I'm far from an expert on these things, using Type F instead of Dexron causes the clutches to engage harder and release slower. So I guess what could happen is you have more clutch "overlap" when one clutch is being engaged and another disengaged. As far as know this only happens when shifting from reverse to a forward gear or vice versa, and since the transmission is (should be) stopped this would be minimal. So there shouldn't be any problem, but I'd certainly flush with Dexron, if you don't notice any shifting problems, then you haven't likely done any damage.

Reply to
Mike F

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:49:20 -0500, the illustrious Mike F favored us with the following prose:

Well that's all very reassuring. The car really worked fine except when the fluid level got too low from dripping out over night and the

1st gear would barely engage at 3000 RPM in the cold. Once topped up it runs fine so I'm hoping it'll stay that way once the seal/bushing are replaced and I take it to Mr. Lube for a flush.

Thanks all! blurp

ps. Mike F, you're in the Toronto area, do you do all your work or do you take your Volvo to a shop? If so which one? Thanks.

Reply to
blurp

I do all my own, and have a friend that I occasionally help out that lets me use a hoist in his shop.

Reply to
Mike F

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:24:57 -0500, the illustrious blurp favored us with the following prose:

Well the official verdict is that it's not just a seal but an entire sleeve (or bushing) and two seals (probably at either end of said sleeve) to the tune of $286. From what I read on a cached Brickboard page that seems about right.

It's interesting, though, that a vibration I felt while driving (which was dismissed by another mechanic as a loose heat shield) may well have been play in the driveshaft as described on the BB FAQ. I look forward to what may be a slightly quieter ride.

I'll post when it's all done, thanks for all the usual great input!

blurp

Reply to
blurp