Transmission question

I have an '89 745 GL. It is stressing me out lately. I need to know if you have any ideas about why it would stay in gear longer than normal. The transmission seems to stay in second longer than it should before shifting.

My father thinks that a flush would be good for it and probably fix it. What do you think? a flush and see what happens or am I on the verge of needing another new transmission.

First one went out when it would not switch into overdrive.

Reply to
Love my 745

Odd as it may sound, I suspect your engine is causing the problem. If the engine needs the throttle depressed more to produce power the transmission will get the command through the kickdown cable to hold the revs higher. If the engine seems a little out of sorts, start with that.

Otherwise, grab the spool on the throttle body and open the throttle with your hand (engine off). Release it slowly and watch the kickdown cable to see if it gets slack at any time. If so the cable is probably binding and doing the same thing I described above. Graphite lubricant is the cure for that - I like LockEase, which is graphite in a spray can with a kerosene carrier.

Changing the fluid is a great idea if it hasn't been changed in the last couple years. Simple draining changes about 1/3 of the fluid IIRC, so a flush makes sense.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Check the kickdown cable, it could be binding, that will cause those symptoms. Also if it won't go into overdrive that could be an electrical issue. Don't suppose the yellow arrow on the dash is lit?

Reply to
James Sweet