Transmission trouble

I'm just joining the group, please forgive me if this subject has been discussed recently.

I have 1986 740 GLE Wagon. I bought it with 203,000 miles (326,697 K) on it from a local Volvo only dealer. It now has 233,000 mile (374,977 K), but I just lost the Automatic Transmission. It was going fine and then just stopped, engine racing when I was doing about 40 mph (64 K) and I coasted to a stop. It gave no indication of trouble prior to the event. I thought the fluild level was up but not absolutely sure.

One place said $2400 US for the rebuild my local said $1200 US.

Has anyone here ever done the Remove and Replace? I have a service manual coming, but thought I would if it's extremely difficult to do? Maybe I can save on some labor.

Thanks,

Reply to
Rick

I had it done by my local shop, not a volvo shop, just a corner shop. It was $800 all said and done for a used one with 60K miles (or so they said). Worked great.

Reply to
L.A.