Trying to decide on a V40 2002. Help appreciated

Hi,

I am looking at buying a 2002 V40 with only 23K on it. The vehicle looks clean and has a lot of options. What shall I be carefull about when examining this model? Also how do 2002/2003 owners feel about their cars.

My previous car is a Mazda Protege5, which is also 2002. I was so happy with the Mazda(maybe opened the hood 5 times in 4 years, just to check the oil), that if I were to start running into issues with the Volvo I might be upset. We need the extra cargo space, so that's why I am considering a low km V40 or a Honda CRV/ Toyota RAV4.

Should I consider getting the extended warranty of 2 extra years?

Thanks.

Reply to
canuck2002

Hi

Think you are better to budget for parts rather than purchase a warranty, you may be lucky. The car won't be as reliable as a Mazda. Check engine mounts are OK, the condition of the brakes (incl rotors) - the backs wear way faster than the fronts, as well as bearings. Also, the roll bar bushings wear fast - check this as well.

I have a 98 V40 T4 and there are a few issues but best to find an independent workshop and get them to service it. Here in Australia, most dealers are woeful - I can tell you some horror stories however now I service it with an independent and I like the car again!!

Also check

and
for more information - you will find way more owners of the S/V40 there than here.

Car probably won't be as reliable as a Mazda but this doesn't mean its not a good buy.

Good luck

John

Reply to
John Smith