Turning off daytime running lights on a 2002 V70

Is there any way for an owner to do this?

Reply to
njord

On the 2000 S70, there is a small screw just next to the headlight switch which you can turn to shut off the DRL function. I would assume it would be the same for the V70

Reply to
mdrawson

Hi,

njord schrieb:

try the way it can be done in my '00 V40:

- switch on ignition

- switch on parking lights (1st position)

- pull and hold (!) high beam lever

- switch off lights while holding high beam lever

- done :-)

Switching on and off DRL is the same procedure.

HTH!

Roland (Austria)

Reply to
Roland Messerschmidt

The 2002 does not have the small screwdriver switch near the headlight switch like older models did. You can have your dealer change it so they aren't on when the switch is off. They may not do it since some idiots would sue their dealer if they got into an accident blaming the dealer for doing what they told him to do.

The manual for your car which is on line at:

specifically at:

states the following:

"Models with daytime running lights: Low beam headlights will automatically come on if the ignition key is in position II. Front and rear parking lights and license plate lights will also be on.

Volvo recommends the use of daytime running lights. If, however, you would prefer to have these lights turned off (USA only), please consult your Volvo retailer. Please note that the use of daytime running lights is mandatory in Canada."

The other way is to use the parking light position. But you will probably forget to shut them off when you park, so why not leave them so they help keep your car the safe car it is.

Daytime running lights (DRLs) are a low-cost method to reduce crashes. They are especially effective in preventing daytime head-on and front-corner collisions by increasing vehicle conspicuity and making it easier to detect approaching vehicles from farther away.

They are required in many countries including Canada and Sweden.

Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. Evidence about DRL effects on crashes comes from studies conducted in Scandinavia, Canada, and the United States. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990 found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes. A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes. In a second study covering 2 years and 9 months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes. A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent.

In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in

7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs. A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles. Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in nine US states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs. Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes and a 12 percent decline in fatal crashes with pedestrians and bicyclists.
Reply to
Stephen Henning

I've got to ask why you would want to disable a safety feature that could actually help alert another driver to your presence.

Reply to
Roadie

Why not have the horn sounding whenever you are moving - that would be even better?!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Even people trying to be JERKS know that loud noises distract drivers and make the situation less safe unless there is an impending collision and the sudden onset of noise brings attention to it.

Reply to
M. Fricker

But it wouldn't be a sudden noise, it would be a *continuous* noise which gets louder as you get close to it. What better way to alert other drivers to your presence?

It's no more stupid that having your headlamps full on in broad daylight, at any rate!

Reply to
Roger Mills

You are a perfect candidate for a Darwin Award. I would venture to say that you probably even drive a car that is the similar shade as the highway surface. And you probably wonder why people pull in front of you. What a pity. You probably don't even turn you headlights on until it is too dark to see where your are going. After all, that is all you think they are good for, seeing where you are going at night. They would never help others see your car, especially when you are driving out of a shady area on a bright sunny day.

To which cemetery should they send your Darwin Award?

Reply to
M. Fricker

If DRLs are such a good idea, why aren't they mandatory in all countries?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks to all who responded. There is no screw and the 'holding high beam switch while turning off light' option did not work. So I guess it's to the dealer I go (unfortunately, since I will probably be charged $100 for a five minute job). Ah, well, I can't do much on today's cars anyway. Why should a theoretically simple job like this be any different.

Njord "Sailing-the fine art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense." From: "Sailing: A Sailor's Dictionary" by Beard & McKie

Reply to
njord

I look at the Volvo's DLR's , ( and operate the same as ) the anti collision lights on my Cessna ..... What harm does a bit of extra electrical juce for some extra lighting do..?

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote

They consume power, albeit only a little, but that is derived from fossil fuel and it all adds up to a devastating contribution to Global warming.

The only responsible thing to do is to disable all vehicle lights permanently, and also, in the case of aircraft, any warning lights and all radar and radio equipment too.

You know it makes sense!

Reply to
Roger Hunt

" You know it makes sense! "

do you really believe all that crap ??

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Perhaps you should hone up your irony detector?

Reply to
Roger Mills

ummm, perhaps Roger...tell ya what...I will conatct you if I ever get interested in saving the world...thanx for the advice......

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

An excellent idea! Combine honking all the time with leaving the 4 way flshers on, driving 20 mph below the limit, using daytime running lights and it's guaranteed that he will be noticed by other drivers. Some of whom will undoubtedly reciprocate with a salute.

I saw some gal driving on the freeway at 40mph, hands gripped on the wheel, peering intently at the road in front of her through the spokes of the steering wheel with the 4 way flashers bliking madly and high beams on. Truly an accident waiting to happen.

Reply to
Roadie

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote

Which of us Rogers are you communicating with? The sensible one or the twisted one?

Reply to
Roger Hunt

Which one are you?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger Mills wrote

I must be the sensible one, having this afternoon fitted new front discs

  • pads to my beautiful and wonderful 1998 V40 2.0i., and have just returned home after a good bit of fast night driving to test out and bed in the new bits (big grin of sharp handling, excellent headlights and lovely brake feel.).

This arvo also saw me treat it to a thorough cooling system flush, until the water ran clear (about a litre is held within the engine block so filling, running, draining got the water coming out clear after half a dozen cycles. There may be a drain on the block but I didn't bother looking too closely - it was easy enough.) Then filled it with 33% anti-freeze mix.

At the weekend my baby will receive a new clutch master cylinder, the original beginning to show early signs of senility (it creaks, and will soon start to leak) after 120,000 miles. This job looks to be very easy - I mean, the master cyl fixings are accessible from the engine bay, so a doddle to remove and replace.

The next treat will be a decent horn, the original Volvo one sounds like a strangled parrot, straining on the toilet.

Reply to
Roger Hunt