Turning S70 rotors

1998 S70 T5 with 60,000 miles

Just had front rotors and pads replaced......time for a rear brake job.

I thought I heard somewhere along the line that turning the rotors on this car is a bad idea but I just got back from a quote from a service shop who qouted 185 bucks to turn the rear rotors and replace the pads (oem pads).

Is that a myth or something about turning the rotors?

Thanks for any answers.

Reply to
EBG

I don't think the rear rotors have a lot of extra material even when they are brand new. My Haynes manual says 9.6mm thick new, 8.4mm minimum. That is 1.2mm or .047" difference. If they are half worn out already and you take off .005" (arbitrary number for the sake of argument) on each side, how much wear is left? Since new rear rotors are easily found for less than $50 each, the question is whether it is better for you to have them turned or replaced.

By the way, my '98 S70 is sitting in my driveway with exactly 100,000 miles and original front rotors/pads (but it's not a T5).

Reply to
Jim Carriere

I guess it depends on what sort of roads you drive on, as well as driving style!

I replaced front and rear pads at 40,000 miles on my 1999 V70 2.5D (diesel) but still have the original discs (rotors if you're west of the pond!) which, although worn a bit, still ran true and were well within thickness spec.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock