Two 240 problems....

Okay, I have two very unrelated problems with my '84 240 that seem to keep cropping up that I can't figure out. Any insight would be much appreciated....

  1. A couple years ago I replaced the torque rod bushings because they were completely shot. Now they are broken again and I feel like this is way too soon. I lined them up correctly and had them pressed in properly, so I don't understand why they broke again. I did not replace any of the other rear bushings at the time. Could the other bushings being bad have destroyed the new torque rod bushings? I also need to get the rear brake discs resurfaced as they vibrate when braking. I have replaced the rear discs, but the new ones still vibrate so I'm going to get them resurfaced on the car and hope that helps. Could that vibration have an effect on the bushes? I'm planning on replacing all the rear bushes and getting the rear brakes resurfaced but I want to make sure that I'm not going to kill the new bushes because of some other problem that I don't know about.....

  1. My main fuel pump is making a lot of noise, and I am getting low pressure under high engine load (engine stutters.) If I replace the main pump again this will be the third time in 5 years. I have replaced the in-tank pump since I last replaced the main pump, also replacing the filter sock as it was coming apart. I replaced the fuel filter at the same time I replaced the main pump, perhaps 20,000 miles ago. What is causing the pump to keep going bad? Could the remnants of the old filter sock have jammed up the pump? Could the fuel line between the tank and the main pump be deteriorating and causing problems? Have I just gotten two bad fuel pumps? They have both been the bosch part. This problem is really frustrating me since the main pump is a 0 part. If anyone knows anything I'm doing wrong I would much appreciate it.....

Thanks, -z

Reply to
zoltamatron

If the brake discs were replaced, they probably don't need to be resurfaced, I would be looking elsewhere, a lot of brake discs get needlessly replaced, it sounds like you might have some axle or suspension problems going on.

You could have a blockage in the fuel line which is killing your pumps, normally a new one should last at least 150K miles, usually more.

Reply to
James Sweet

Do you think that I could have a bent axle or something? The vibration happens even at very slow speeds....when I am slowing way down to a stop I can feel the brakes pulsing all the way down. When I replaced the rear discs I didn't have time to order the oem part so I got them from kragen (silly me). I replaced the front discs with oem parts and that fixed the front problem, but until that was fixed I didn't realize the rear was bad as well.

Reply to
zoltamatron

You feeling it in your foot or in the chassis? If it's the car that's pulsing, maybe the tires are square... or a bent rim.

Reply to
clay

You could jack up the back of the car, pull the wheel off and carefully put it in gear with the engine idling. You should be able to see whether the axle is bent or the disk is warped.

Reply to
James Sweet

Wobbling at low speed, like a waddling sensation, always makes me think of a tire separating.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Hmmm.....thank you for this suggestion.....I am going to try this and see what is going on back there.

-z

Reply to
zoltamatron