Tyre types

Anyone know the answer to this. I've damaged the sidewall of one of the tyre on my 850. Going to have to replace it. All the tyres on the car are rotational, ie. have to be the right way round on the car turning in the right direction. Question is, can I just get a njormal tyre to replace with, or does it have to be rotational as well? Thanks - Roy

Reply to
Roy Bolton

It will have the be the same type and size, but not necessarily the same brand. Matching the brand would be best, though. Using a mismatched tire will interfere with the cars' handling.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

I've never really understood the purpose of tyres which can only rotate one way - what happens when you go backwards?!

I guess that there's a slight difference in their wet grip ability in the two directions, but I doubt whether the earth would stop rotating if you used one the wrong way round.

As far as mixing them with tyres which can rotate either way is concerned, I can't see any problem. I have had the occasional 'rotational' tyre on my cars in the past when I've needed a tyre in a hurry and that was all that was available - and they always mixed ok with no noticable effect.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

There ya go! The earth might start rotating backward! ;-)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
Rob Guenther

if the tires have much wear on em at all then it will make no difference what kind of tire you put on if its the same size directional tires only make for better displacement of rain unless you slam on the brakes at 60+ there is no way you would notice a difference even if you have four different tires on the car as long as they are the same height and similar width

Reply to
bob

Reply to
Simon Taylor

BAD ADVICE YOU NEED ALL THE SAME PATTERN AND PROPER AIR PRESSURE

Reply to
John Robertson

There is a huge difference in aquaplaning resistance when using directional tyres on the wrong side as opposed to the right side. If you look at the tread pattern you will notice it is a chevron. Whne the tyre rotates the head of the chevron (in the center of the tyre)encounters the water first . As the tyre continues to rotate the water is forced outwards to the edge of the tyre for dispersal. If you run the tyre backwards the water is forced toards the centre of the tyre - BAD IDEA!!!

Going in reverse is never a problem as the risk of aquaplaning in reverse is pretty low.....

Manufacturers put those little directional arrows there for a reason.... best follow it!

Incidentally, in some countries using the tyres against the directional arrow is illegal and it could invalidate your insurance...

Reply to
AB

Hi Everyone,

directional

Reply to
Roy Bolton

john you sound like a crooked salesman - oftentimes uninformed and always looking to make a buck

Reply to
bob

Replace the tyres of the left AND right side!

Pieter

Reply to
Pi