UK tyre problem

Hello! I'm having a terrible time trying to find tyres for my 240 estate. 185/80 R14 seems to be a very obscure size. Has anyone fitted a lower profile tyre ( perhaps one that is more commonly stocked by tyre dealers ) or has solved the same problem here in the UK. I'm in S.Kent btw.........

Les

Reply to
Les &/or Claire

Use the tyre calculator to get the same rolling diameter .Maybe a 215 x 70x

begin 666 Tire size calculator.url M6T1%1D%53%1=#0I"05-%55),/6AT=' Z+R]W=W

Reply to
John Robertson

Thanks for the pointer John. One thing, i'm confused about the tyres I can actaully fit on my rims. What defines the actual wheel size and what do the measurements actually mean? If i'm going to leap in and change something, I want to be sure i'm up to speed on the consequences.

les

Reply to
Les &/or Claire

Why not fit round tyres like folk do up North? Our 440 Volvo rides better on them than the square ones you folks use to ride round the M25 or up to Sheffield.

Cheers

Reply to
A. Moore

Taking 215/70 x14 as an example, 14 is the rim diameter in inches so you

*must* fit 14" tyres.

215 is the tyre width in millimetres (perversely!) and 70 is the profile (height/width) as a percentage. This means that the height of the tyre is

70% of the width - in other words 150.5mm or 5.925". Thus the overall diameter of the wheel plus tyre (which needs to be close to the original) is 14 + 5.925 + 5.925 inches = 25.85"

See

more details of tyre markings. To a certain extent, you can fit wider tyres with a lower profile and still have the correct overall diameter. However, there are two constraints on this - wider tyres may foul the wheel arches on full lock, and your rims may only be suitable for tyres up to a certain width. Plus, of course, the spare will take up more room. Whatever you fit must, of course, have suitable speed and load ratings for your car.

HTH.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

for more details of tyre markings.>

Just what I needed... thanks for a great answer.... :o)

Reply to
Les &/or Claire

Hi -

I have no problems getting replacement tyres for my '92 240SE Estate from my local garage who can actually offer me a choice of at least three brands. Whilst not the cheapest Fulda ( Dutch manufacturer) offers the best in terms of value v. performance.

Andy (> Hello!

Reply to
AJAY

I found some last night in Canterbury, 2 Firestones at £45 each..... not sure if it's a good price, i'm just releived to find some before I do another motorway run to work in torrential rain........

Les

Reply to
Les &/or Claire

That's only slightly more than I pay for my Fuldas (£85 a pair fitted) They will have longer life than the Fuldas but possibly not as much wet-grip

Andy

Les &/or Claire wrote:

Reply to
AJAY