unknown electrical part

hello, on my 1991 240, I just noticed that an electrical "box" was not attached to its wires, the wiring was hanging close to the box, but unpluged. It is about 1" x 2" grey with number

89 99 76 35 44 322 12V/50A

on it.

It sits right behind the battery.

Any idea what it is, I am reluctant to just plug it in....

Thanks, Joseph

Reply to
jsegura525

It's a relay for something, does the car have ABS?

Reply to
James Sweet

Yes, it has ABS...

Reply to
jsegura525

A relay would be my guess. It's a big one, if so--50 Amps--so I'd look for a major power-hungry thing that doesn't work. Electric motors (HVAC blower, ABS pump, radiator fans, ...) and headlights are about the only things that draw enough power for that big a relay.

Optionally, plug it in and see which fuse blows. Many fuses control more than one thing. Someone unplugged it for a reason, I'm sure.

JRE

Reply to
JRE