unplugged battery and now I need code for radio

Hi Everyone,

I had to change one of the head lights so I unplugged the battery to my 1999 Volvo S70. I turned on the car and tested the lights and they were fine but the radio stopped working and now is asking for the code.

Anyone know what the code is and can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

R Singh

Reply to
sikhsville

This comes up all the time on this newsgroup! Why don't people do a simple search?

Anyhow, every Volvo radio has a unique code, normally 4 digits AFAIK. The code is normally written on a small card which should be tucked in with the owner's manual. That's where I found mine for my 98 V70.

Reply to
Inno

Assuming the radio is working as normal is there a way to determine the code from the radio. I recently bought a 2001 S40 and don't have my code should the battery need disconnecting then I'd be stuck!

Reply to
David

Every Volvo dealer can help you, sometimes for free, only if it is a Volvo radio.

"David" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Reply to
volvo480

As volvo480 wrote, every Volvo dealer should be able to get this code for you. It's a sort of anti-theft device. If anyone ever decided to steal your head unit, it wouldn't work at all unless they put in that code (which is different for each car). So if you don't have the little red-and-white card, the only way to find out your code is to visit your dealer.

Reply to
Robert

Thank you all for your comprehensive information. I am new to newsgroups so now I am searching for information and reading the previous posts to answer many more questions.

thanks again

Reply to
sikhsville

The thing I don't get is why do they bother? The Volvo radio is by no means anything special and the head unit is pretty much useless without the substandard amp buried elsewhere under the dash. Anyone who stole it would undoubtedly be ridiculed by their criminal buddies.

blurp

Reply to
blurp

It does have a value on the market to people who need a Volvo replacement to fill the hole in their dash from having had THEIR radio taken!!

Reply to
Inno

By putting in an anti-theft code, it enhances Volvo's "upscale" image by implying to the car owners that their head unit is likely to be stolen...but that's just my guess.

Reply to
Robert