V 70 daylight running lights

I bought a 4 year old V 70 2 months ago and have had to change already two of the bulbs in the headlights, one main beam and one dip failed in each headlight.

When I see other Volvos I regularly see them with a headlight out, is this a problem on the V 70 and other Volvo models.

How can I switch of the daylight running lights

Reply to
Andy Mann

4-years-old suggests that it's the new shape - based on the S80 chassis - rather than the old shape, based on the 850. If so, I think it requires a tweek of the on-board computer - which requires dealer action.

If it's the old shape, there's a small screw in the lighting switch which can be turned to any of 3 positions to control how the lights work. This is explained in the owner handbook. My 1999 V70 (UK) - with the screw set to the appropriate position - never has lights on in the daytime unless I explicitly turn them on.

[I'm sure this will provoke yet another flame war about the merits/de-merits of daylight running lights - but what the hell!]
Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Dealers in the US do NOT like to switch the daylight running lights off because they could potentially get sued if an accident resulted. It is a safety feature!?????

Gunner

It's hardly a safety feature if the bulbs burn out from constant use, and leave you with no lights when it's *dark*!

At least with the earlier V70 you can turn the bl***y things off yourself without needing to involve a litigation-wary dealer!

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

To go back to the original question, I live in the UK, have a '97 V70 and experienced the same problem soon after I bought it in 2000. I changed one headlight bulb, then another would go, and so on. Eventually, I took advice from the (very experienced) Chief Mechanic at my local Volvo dealership, who recommended I change all four (2 x dipped and 2 x full beam) bulbs at the same time, and with Volvo bulbs rather than generics.

I took some convincing, but eventually did as I was told. Whether by fluke or not, I have not had another bulb go in the last four years, and I run with daylight running lights on (travelling regularly on the M25 around London, I'll take any help that's offered in order to be seen......!)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I enjoyed you view.

If you put fuel in the tank when it is near empty why not change a bulb that is burned out. So the bulb is expensive. So is the gas.

The daylight running lights are to make you more visible so those less safety conscious non-volvo drivers have a better chance of not running into you. This has nothing to do with you driving ability.

I have been driving my XC70 for 3 years and have spent $0.00 on burned out bulbs of any kind.

BTW using lights in the day time was started by motorcycle gangs as a means of increasing there visibility and survival.

Putting this another way to save $20 you would increase your chances of have an accident? (Dealer Parts says $15.49 plus tax) The dealer has to download software to update the computer. BTW I asked my service IF he would do this and his diplomatic answer was "NO!!!!!!!!!"

Actually I do not drive with daylight running light on at all, I use my lights all of the time.

Cheers

Reply to
Gunner

When I bought my (old) volvo the headlights were about the only globes still working. It popped a couple I replaced fairly soon and I noticed the headlights changed brightness markedly so checked the alternator output. It was overcharging and after fixing it no globes have blown (since 6 months ago at least).

Reply to
jg