V40 engine vibration

I have a 2000 V40 with about 65,000 miles on it. Purchased last year at about 50,000 miles. Since I've had it, it's had an engine vibration that makes various interior things buzz. It's most noticeable standing still at idle after a cold start, and it tends to diminish as the engine warms up. Lately it seems to have gotten a little buzzier. Not a lot, just a slightly perceptible increase in the buzz factor. There are no other symptoms. Power is normal, no new noises, no drivability issues. Where should I begin looking for a cause? Motor mounts maybe?

Reply to
Ernest Scribbler

Would put money on it being the mounts. Common problem and a regular item for the car unfortunately. Is yours a manual?

John.

Ernest Scribbler wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

First point of call- the top steady bar attached to the cam cover. These are well known for breaking up and giving metal to metal contact.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"John Smith" wrote

Automatic. I'm told there was no manual transmission option on US V40s in

2000.

I've read of motor mounts being a common failure item on V40s, but haven't seen much detail on the symptoms or how to verify whether a mount is good or bad. At around $100 each, plus a day of knuckle busting, I want to be fairly certain I have the right diagnosis before I start replacing parts.

Reply to
Ernest Scribbler

"Tim.." wrote

What's a steady bar? Vadis shows four motor mounts (they call them "engine pads"), a pair of front and rear lowers attached to a removable member that runs front to back under the engine, and two uppers on either side. The only one that's readily visible is the upper one on the passenger side and the rubber looks intact. I can stick a pry bar into it and rock the engine front to back a little, but I don't know what I should be looking for in that regard.

Reply to
Ernest Scribbler

Yup- thats the one. If you are sure it is fine, then check the bottom mounts, which are hydraulic and oil filled. Occasionally I have seen these burst- and the engine resting on the cross member. You should see oil around the failed mount in this case though.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"Tim.." wrote

What should I look for to determine if it's fine?

Just crawled under and had a look. No oil present, but the front mount, which was the only one I could see, looks similar to the upper one, a hunk of rubber inside a steel ring.

Reply to
Ernest Scribbler