V40 - Rear Handbrake mechanism seized

Hi, The handbrake mechanism which operates one of the wheel cylinders on my V40 keeps seizing. I have released it by using WD40 and moving it back and for until it operates correctly, but the same problem recurs 6 weeks later. Can anyone tell me if there is a trick to permanently fixing this problem without replacing the caliper? Thanks, Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

"Cameron" wrote in news:1158094502.045075.318390 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

What year?

I believe the 2005's had a recall on the handbrake.

Reply to
Spam Catcher

Reply to
Cameron

WD40 is not a long term lubricant - it's all getting washed or burned away. You'll need to take the mechanism apart and get a proper heat resistant brake grease on the mating parts.

Reply to
Mike F

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Cameron typed this :

Best of luck - I bought a 1998 ex-Constabulary unmarked 2.0 petrol V40 6 months ago and am very much enjoying getting to know it. Even though my handbrake works fine at the moment I'll be having a look at the mechanism just in case it's close to fouling up.

(I'll second Mike re WD40 - Great for freeing things up in preparation for cleaning and appropriate lubrication)

Cheers

Reply to
Roger Hunt

Reply to