V50 - ipod connectivity.

I notice that on the new Volvo V50 there is an option to add in an adapter to make an ipod compatible with the head unit in the car. This adapter gives ipod control via the head unit controls. The dealer tells me that this option is about £380. Which is a lot of cash for some cables and a plug...

Does anyone know if any thing similar can be bought from a 3rd party and retrofitted to the vehicle?

Reply to
simon
~^ beancounter ~^
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

There are plenty of third-party adapters that will let you use your ipod in *any* car. Most of them are microwatt FM transmitters that rely on you setting the car's radio to a certain frequency. You plug the ipod into the transmitter dealie, plug the dealie into the 12v power, turn on the radio and go. Same type things were available for personal CD players, for cellphones, and probably for other small personal electronics.

My used 2003 Volvo has an ipod adapter, which I won't be using. The dealer can't assure me that attaching an ipod with a newer firmware rev. than specified in the manaul won't b0rk the car's firmware, and also says Volvo has no firmware updates for the car that will ensure compatibility with an ipod newer than those specified in the (grossly non-technical) ipod connector user manual.

Reply to
Wooly
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I should have made clearer. I'm expressly not interested in FM transmitters for this function.

I'm curently using a Griffin iTrip FM transmitter with my Ipod Video. (In my Alfa 156. I've yet to take ownership of the V50) Quality of sound is acceptable, however interference is a pain as is operation of the device on the go.

I'm expressly interested in devices that attach to the head unit, give control function via the HU/steering wheel, and charge the device too.

SS

Reply to
simon

I have finally lost patience with wires and cables floating around my car, casette adapters and jury-rigged wire routing, the ridiculous amounts charged for wired adapters from Crutchfield/Volvo/IPD and the silly price the FM transmitting adapters add to the cost of a player (crappy ones w/3 frequencies for $20, better ones starting around $55)!!

After extensive research to find the best and most practical in-car MP3 solution I have discovered this: the 4Gb version of the Netac A210 (reviewed here:

There was no distributor so I contacted the company directly and now I'M A DISTRIBUTOR!

So the feature run-down that got my attention was:

- Built-in FM Transmitter (with digital tuning, just pick your channel, powerful enough to transmit from another room!)

- INCLUDED in-car adapter/charger (haven't really needed it yet, battery runs for hours off one charge)

- 4Gb of storage (I uploaded 280 songs and it's less than half full)

- big colour screen (well 2x that of an ipod nano)

- same overall size as an ipod nano but sleek and black and unobtrusive (i.e. not as much of an invitation to window smashers)

- simple USB interface (no iTunes needed), just plug it in and it's like another hard drive, no installation drivers needed

- you could watch video or read e-books on it but the screen is too small for that IMHO

If you're interested in this cool little solution let me know as I can certainly get it to you in North America for better than the commonly posted Australian price!

blurp

Reply to
blurp
Reply to