V50/S40 Day running lights

It says in the UK manual that daytime running lights can be turned off by your Volvo dealer. Does anybody know how to do this or does it require special tools?

TIA

Reply to
GeeGee

Your dealer must download software from Volvo to turn them off. Here in the US it cost me about $85. Don't know if it costs more if you want them turned back on.

Reply to
Bob W.

Save yourself the money and leave them alone. You do NOT save anything by turning them off. They are dimmed/dipped lights so run at about a quarter of normal dipped power.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Reply to
Jeff Spenader

My car has BiXenons so I was just thinking of the cost of bulb replacement. Does constant use reduce bulb life significantly?

Reply to
GeeGee

Reply to
GeeGee

You can carry an air pump so you can inflate the battery after you flatten it ;)

Actually the reason you don't hear a warning when you leave the "parking lights" on is because they are meant to be left on when a car is "parked" on the side of the road. Actually they are obsolete today because people use the 4-way flashers which also don't have a warning indicator.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I have a an US model 03 XC70. I leave the lights "on" all of the time. That is the lights are on when the ignition is on and the lights are off when the ignition is off.

The reason is that the need for daylight running to as bright or brighter in the day than at night. This is a SAFETY feature. Also I as far the lights are concerned I turn the key and go. In fact driving is simple seatbelt, key, drive, GO. Day or Night.

I have seen my share of dim bulbs who cannot drive with their lights on at night, so Daylight Running Lights would be a rather obscure concept.

Sometime ago the Canada Safety Council was not pleased when the concept of less brilliant lighting was invoked for Daylight Running lights by OEM's.

It is just a guess but I cannot imagine it working differently on the V50/S40 but I am sure Ford has done stranger things before. Just trying to help.

Cheers

Reply to
John Wright

Yes, but my previous car (VW Passat) had parking lights and a buzzer. The buzzer only worked when the door was open so you could leave parking lights on without the buzzer going off all the time.

Reply to
GeeGee

You should have no problems -- lights should be going off when you turn off the engine. Flipping the high-beam with the engine off will result in the high-beams being enabled for thirty seconds (enough time for you to get out, lock the car and walk to your front door and find the appropriate key but not enough to put the key in the door.....)

At least, that's how it works with my 1994 850 (no walk-light) and my wife's 2002 S40

Reply to
Byrocat

Aren't Bi-Xenon's suppose to pretty well last the life of the vehicle?

I know their life is a lot longer then halogen bulbs... Which tend to last around 4 years or so in cars that run their lights at 100% intensity @ 20K Kms per year or so.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
GeeGee

Even the Xenon types should have a series resistor to lower their power when used in daylight conditions. It works perfectly for other lighting systems. Being an Aicraft Electrician by trade I disregard any statements that say similar to " can potentially put strain on electrical components". They are far more robust than you could imagine.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Xenon lights don't even have a filament to burn out, do they? I thought they were a gas discharge light (similar to fluorescent and metal halide etc...) - Meaning they should be able to handle many cyclings on and off... at the expense of potentially the balast after years of use.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Yes, you are both right. Apparently, the US manual states that the lights should run on halogens during the day and switch to Xenons when the built in twilight sensor detects low light, but owners have confirmed this does not happen. It is not mentioned in my UK manual. However, the concern does seem to be around the ballast module which costs around $2000 dollars to replace allegedly!! As an engineer also, I agree with your sentiments - also you would think Volvo would have got it right by now, this is not new technology!

It would be easier if this function was switched off to give the owner choice. If you want to use daylight running then you could leave the light switch on all the ime as the lights are still killed when the ignition key is removed

Reply to
GeeGee

That's odd. My V40 manual says that daytime-running lights can be switched of using the rotary switch at power on combinded with the lights-handle. (I believe you turn the ratory switch to full on while pulling the handle towards you.) This combination is a togle switch.

I played with it and now my lights remain off until I dail the rotary switch to either city-lights or full lights.

hope this helps,

Manu T

"GeeGee" schreef in bericht news:d2scnp$ms1$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to