V70 2.5 20 v - Excessive noise on acceleration

My 1998 V70 runs as you would expect except that there is a deep loud resonance on acceleration. When cruising at any speed / engine revs the car is smooth and quiet but . I've had two exhaust companies and one volvo dealer look at it and they all say there's no leaks or obvious fault in the exhaust system. With 270,000 Kms on the clock I would think the Cat might be faulty in some way and if so perhaps the resonance would be the result. A suggested fix has been to replace the entire system starting with the Cat but with the price of Volvo spares it would be almost cheaper to buy another second hand one without the problem! I've checked the timing, changed the air filter for a genuine Volvo and am satisfied there is no visible fault with the intake system. Anyone else had similar problems?

Reply to
JohnM

I don't know what the problem is John, but I have it too. I bought the same model about 8 months ago with 173,000 miles and I noticed the same thing, though mine is a bit louder even when cruising. Because the sound is throaty and a bit resonant, I don't find it too annoying, but I would prefer not having it. I asked about it on this forum a few months back, and at that time the only suggestion was a leaking flexible connector at the exhaust manifold, but I can detect no leaks. I will be interested if anyone steps up to the bat this time.

Bill

JohnM wrote:

Reply to
Bill

Thanks for keeping me company on this one. I guess you've tried to bung up the exhaust pipe to see if there are leaks? -that was what the garages did with mine. One garage listened with a purpose built probe and went straight to the flexible joint but found nothing. I once had a problem with an 850 which didn't demonstrate any leak until acceleration under load when the engine movement was excessive due to a worn stabiliser mounting. The movement exposed a fracture in the exhaust manifold pipe, but the noise as quite different to what I'm currently experiencing.

John

Reply to
JohnM