v70 door skins

Someone has put a dent in my 2002 v70 driver's door and driver's side passenger door with their bumper. The local body shop tells me that both doors will need to be re-skined or replaced, but they don't know if Volvo do door skins or not. Does anyone here know?

Thanks Ed

Reply to
Ed

Why both doors? (i.e. why replace the undamaged one too?)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.
[ Tim (Remove NOSPAM.] (Fri, 21 May 2004 17:22:30 +0000 (UTC)):

Doesn't it say "dent" in the "drivers door _and_ drivers site passenger door" ? ;)

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

So it does! oops!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Yes Volvo does sell just the door skins the body shop will be able to determine if just the skins are needed or the whole door

Reply to
G Klein

I'd be happier with used doors as opposed to new door skins. Often bodyshops don't rust protect their work properly, resulting in rust around the edges of the doors. Have you ever seen a car with 3 good doors and one really rusty? Chances are it's because that one door skin was replaced a few years before.

Reply to
Mike F

Mike F wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@allsttream.nett:

Mike,

Interesting comment. I sort of assumed that it would all be galvanised and there would be no rust problems. My insurer states that the work will be guaranteed for as long as I own the car. I don't know how that would work out in practice though. I'm interested as to exactly how the skins are attached onto the existing frame. Does the dented section just get patched, or is the entire door chopped round the edge. The estimate for the work is about £1200(UKP), just for a little dent in two doors!

Cheers Ed

Reply to
Ed

The skins would be galvanized (or have some form of zinc coating), but that coating gets damaged where welding takes place. I'm not sure just how much welding would be involved, but I'd bet that there'd be a fair amount. Asking the body shop would be the best idea.

Reply to
Mike F

The door skins are bonded to the original metal not welded Glenn

Reply to
G Klein

Originally, yes. However how the bodyshop will attach the replacement one is the concern. Sometimes there just is no substitute for factory controlled conditions and the expensive, single purpose tooling that does this sort of job.

Reply to
Mike F

Mike F wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@allsttream.nett:

Well the car's booked in for the 14th. I'll try giving them a call to see if they can tell me what they plan to do, weld or glue.

Thanks for all the excellent feedback on this. At least I can ask some sensible questions of my bodyshop, although I sort of wish I hadden't had to find out in the first place!

Cheers Ed

Reply to
Ed