V70 Plastic Radiator mishap

The tiny plastic nozzle on the top of my radiator broke completely off while I had my timing belt replaced at the workshop. This connects the coolant tank to the radiator and is pressurised at 150kP. I have tried gluing it on with Araldite but to no avail. Any advice on how else I could have it done besides replacing the entire radiator (what Volvo recommends!)

Reply to
Prithvy

Based on a comment from a fellow at a radiator shop, you are out of luck.

Plastic radiators cannot be repaired the way you are hoping.

He said if it breaks, buy a new radiator, it isn't repairable.

Reply to
Mr. V

There's nothing you can do that will be reliable, replace the radiator, unless you would rather spend $5K on an engine rebuild when your fix breaks on the highway.

Plastic radiator tanks are STUPID STUPID STUPID, I'd like to smack the engineer who came up with those. They're a time bomb, they *always* fail, I have yet to ever have a metal tank radiator fail catastrophically like the plastic ones do.

Reply to
James Sweet

Replacement is as others noted the only way to fix a break anywhere on the plastic tank. It is a horrible design that was likely done to shave a few ounces off the weight and several dollars off the cost.

Has anyone found a good metal tank replacement?

Reply to
Roadie

Ok, radiator is shot so why not experiment? I would think along the line of a metal hose fitting ( same diameter as the connected hose) that you could drill a larger hole in the radiator top, in the same spot as where the nozzle was...... get a threaded fitting and place it in the opening using a neoprene washer, metal washer and a hex nut and tighten to avoid leaks. You might have to find a way to get the washer/nut inside the radiator housing. Try your plumber's supply shop or an industrial fittings provider..try Parker Haniffin Mfg. (Tell them you want to add a drain hose to a metal can and they will come up with such a device.........i guess ;)

BTW some radiator shops will replace the plastic headers if the core is good. Had it done on my 1998 760 for $70.00

E mail me a picture of the situation i might be of help,

Reply to
proaire

Because a catastrophic failure can destroy your engine before you notice anything is wrong. I'm all for creative experimentation but this is like experimenting with your parachute.

Reply to
James Sweet