V70 Speedo/Temp Gauge/Check Engine Light Problem

The speedo on my V70 suddenly stopped working with no warning at all. The needle is just dead. The odo works fine. At the same time the temp gauge became very erratic, mostly staying at the cold end but occasionally moving to normal, but never above. Even when it shows cold the engine gives off heat via the heater. Other gauges (fuel, tach) work fine.

At the same time my Check Engine light started to flash. By the way, by ABS light turns on from time to time, but the ABS works fine when I test the brakes.

Just previous to this my battery had died even though it is quite new. We had been doing a lot of short trips with seat heaters, fan on etc. so this was not unexpected. We have charged it and it is fine now.

Can anyone explain all these problems? Is my car haunted? It is a 98 V70 with about 245K km on it. It runs very well, shifts fine, etc.

The car seems to be quite driveable but I am wondering what might go next. Any suggestions as to what to check? I don't want to invest a lot of money in a garage replacing a whole lot of random stuff trying to find the problem on this 10-year old car.

Thanks!

Reply to
Inno

I had exactly the same problem with my V70 a couple of years ago. It turned out that the battery needed replacing - it would no longer hold charge. Once the battery was replaced, I had no more problems.

Probably worth a try, given the price of a new battery.

Bill

Reply to
Bill