V70 Tire Replacement

After years of using Bridgestone Perenza tires on my 240, 93 850 and now 2000 V70, COSTCO refuses to sell me a new set. Their reason: Volvo original issue tire is 'V' rated and they fear law suits if they sell me 'H' rated tires. Of course they will sell me a 'V' rated Michlien for $50 more per tire. B.S.

I'm looking for some recommendations for a replacement that will have similar qualities to the Bridgestone without costing a arm and a leg. Are the U.S. Mfg. (Goodyear, Goodrich, etc) any good with this type of suspension?

Reply to
See Text

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Klein

I would buy another set of Nokian WR tires for any car we currently have at home (my 99.5 Golf TDI has them, the 93 Volvo 965 and the 03 Golf CL do not... Michelin Energy MXV4+ on the Volvo, the stock Goodyear Eagle LS on the other Golf)... The Nokian doubles as a winter tire (true 4-season tire, with severe weather rating, has "Hakka" siping from their snow tire line), comes in H and V speed ratings, phenomenal grip in the wet, and in the dry, seems to wear well for and H rated tire, reasonably quiet. I have it in

195/65R15 91H rating.

Those Michelins are okay... smooth and quiet, reasonably grippy - overpriced by far tho... The Goodyears are outdated tires, and quite lousy from day one (we had them the first year they came out, on our Volvo... first time we got rid of a tire having more than 1/2 of its life left in it) - Michelin is generally a great tire, but you pay for the name...

But...if you like your choice in tire, find a store willing to sell them to you. I've never driven with Bridgestone tires - I've heard good things about the Pirelli's that come on Volvo's now... apparantly they are a fantastic tire and last a long time, good grip etc!

H rated is good to 210kph, probably near where your V70 is limited to anyways - and I doubt you will take it that fast in the USA/Canada.

You do might lose the added handling benefits and stiffer sidewalls, and newer technology of a V-rated tire... but you might also gain increased treadwear, winter weather suitability, and reduced costs. H and V rated tires seem about the same tho... H rated usually being for the narrower or taller sizes of a V rated design.

Reply to
Rob Guenther