V70XC Trailer lighting

I had a tail light problem that the local dealer traced to the trailer lighting circuit. The power for the trailer circuit had been spliced directly into the power to the tail lights on one side. This, they said, was a no-no with a Volvo hitch as it requires a "control module" which is then wired into the fuse box at the side of the rear storage compartment. The hitch had been installed by a Volvo dealer in another city, so if the control module story is accurate, then I got shafted by the installing dealer. I would appreciate hearing from anyone with knowledge of the technicalities of trailer hitch installation on Volvos.

Thanks, Gerry

Reply to
gerry

Yes, a "control module" is needed. At least it was on the three Volvo's I had trailer hitches put on.

Reply to
Roadie

I have a '01 XC70 with a trailer hitch. I wired the hitch my self and it works just fine. I had to get a module that converts from the Volvo system with 2 yellow turn signal lights and 3 red brake lights to the standard trailer hookup with two red lights that are both turn signals and brakes. I got the module from U-haul. That is what my Volvo dealer recommended. It works great. My dealer also recommend the U-haul trailer hitch which was especially made for the XC70. It also is great.

Reply to
Stephen Henning