very eradic idle!!!!!!

i drive a 740 gle 1986 model when i start my car it revs toy around

2000rpms then will drop 1o 1500rpws still way too much i have already checked for vacuum leaks and rplaced 2 hoses and it helped a little but still real bad please help
Reply to
pepe256

An 86 740 GLE I think had the B230E carb engine. If I am right what you are describing is reminicent to a similar symptom that regularly pops up on the

340's with the crap Weber carb where the base plate bows slightly on the carb where it bolts onto the inlet manifold (via a 1/2 inch thick gasket). This gives a very slight air leak and causes just that which you have described.

Check the carb to manifold bolts first but do not overtighten. Next check the inlet manifold bolts . Does spraying WD40 at the carb/manifold interface briefly drop the reves down?

Another thought; I also recall that the 740GLE has an auto choke rather than one one you have to physically pull out. If it is a pull out type then check to make sure the cable settings are returning when cable pushed back in. Check your throttle are is returning to its stop on the carb. If an auto choke could this be playing up?

Further thought - eratic idle - idle jet (presumably there is one) in carb partially blocked? Guesing somewhat but you never know. You really need to get to somebody who is a wiz on carbs.

Best of luck

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Depends on where he's located, all north american Volvos have been fuel injected since 1975.

Reply to
James Sweet