Volvo 144 hubcap

Checking your group I don't see any postings for anything older than a 244, but here goes anyways. I have owned a

1969 Volvo 144 since my dad bought it new. He was almost retired by then, and so it has only about 40,000 miles on it. We have tried to keep it running, but the Chicago winters have done a number on the body. We had to weld plates under the car when the street became visible. The motor is great and we hope to drive it until the car falls apart. In the past, we have been able to get parts like doors and mirrors from many sources. I guess the supply of junked 144's has about dried up because I'm having trouble finding a reasonably priced replacement for a single hubcap. I have scoured the web and sent out numerous requests with no answers. If anyone can provide this item or advise where to get it, I would be appreciative. Sure the car drives ok without this hubcap, but the outer body still looks nice and I would like to keep it looking that way. I hope we don't need anymore major parts because they may not exist anymore.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

Have you tried iPD's classified section? There's still some 140s out there.

In a pinch you can use 240 hubcaps.

Reply to
James Sweet

Have you tried Ebay? I see a lot of classic Volvo parts there, cheap.

Reply to
Leftie

Just posted my ad there. They take their time getting it approved, but it should appear soon.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

I tried them first. Found one seller with a set of four, which I don't need and with shipping it came to more than I wanted to spend. These guys did not want to send me just one or reduce their price.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

Understandable, that would leave them with a set of three.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi James,

Found some hubcaps in an ad on iPD. Wondering how risky it is to buy from someone who appears to be a private party and not a regular business. His name is murray or michael. Have you ever heard of him?

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

No, but the iPD classifieds are filled with regular people rather than businesses, that's how it works. People are generally honest, that's not to say nobody ever gets screwed, but every part of life involves some risk and for something small like a hub cap I wouldn't sweat it. It's not as if you're dropping $150K on a classic car sight unseen.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm not using hubcaps on my '72 145, but have one or two of them around somewhere. Would those be the same as used on your '69 144?

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Thanks for the reply Gary. I may have located 4 hub caps for a reasonable price, so we will see how that goes. My guess is that the 72 145 caps won't match. Mine are plain solid chrome with a small 'V' in the center surrounded by a black painted circle.

Thanks anyways for the thought,

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

They are quite likely the same ones used on the Amazon, although I'm not certain.

Reply to
Leftie