Volvo 240 DL Brakes Problem - any ideas?

For the past few days my brakes have been screeching a wee bit, nothing insane, just a little bit. Today as I was driving home, my Brake Failure light went on and the brake itself kind of sunk almost all the way down if I'd put pressure on it. I was pretty worried even though I could still slow the car if needed and it looked like I'd get home OK, although cautiously. Then about a block away from my house, I think I went over a bump or something and the Brake Failure light went off and the brake itself was back to normal, not going down so far when I put pressure on it. Any ideas what this problem could be?

MV

Reply to
Master Volume

Time for a new master cylinder.

Reply to
Mike F

Mike F wrote in news:3F6EF79D.66E0D826 @attcanada.cant:

Could also be the vacuum line to the master cylinder is loose/bad. Also check your brake pads, they sound a little rough.

Reply to
Steve W.