Volvo 240 failed MOT

Our car today failed its MOT on several points. Couple of minor things like needing new numberplates, a light was not working and a couple of tyre issues.

One of the issues though we are unsure about the possible cost to replace. Apparently the exhaust downpipe needs replacing as it is letting off dangerous fumes.

Just wondering what we should be expecting to pay to get the downpipe fixed please? UK £ sterling prices if possible please.

Reply to
Beck

Forgot to mention sorry, it is a 1993 volvo 240

Reply to
Beck

Hi there, yes I think it is the manifold. Not sure of the details of the damage, only that it has dangerous levels of gases emitting from it. We have had a quote for arounds about £200 from the local garage so I guess its a complete job - either that or they are to rip us off. lol

Reply to
Beck

If the exhaust manifold is cracked (not terribly uncommon, but not all that common in Volvos either) you are probably hearing a rhythmic sound when the engine runs. It may be anything from a soft "tick" to a roar, and it gets stronger as you open the throttle. That must be fixed, and I don't know of any way except replacement. £200 doesn't sound too high.

Finding the leak is not hard to do yourself if you have a shop vacuum. Empty the canister, connect the hose to the outlet and run the vacuum a minute to blow loose debris out. Duct tape the hose to the exhaust pipe (when the engine is cold) and turn the shop vacuum on. You can feel around the exhaust manifold with your hand for the jet of air from the leak. At least you can verify if it is a crack or a bad gasket. Either is likely to be lumped into "a hole in the manifold" at MOT.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I am not even sure it is the manifold to be honest. From what I can gather (bear in mind this is second hand info), it is the down pipe from the engine, because it was emitting these bad gases they were not able to do the MOT emission test properly. Does that mean anything to you?

Reply to
Beck

As my reply to Jamie, I am not exactly sure what it is. Apparently the gases in the downpipe are stopping the MOT emission tests from being conducted properly. Its not my MOT but my Dads and he is a bit vague about exactly what it is. What I will say though is I do not think the MOT shop is pulling a fast one to get repairs because the first thing he said was to get some other quotes to do the work and he would match the quotes if we wanted him to do it. So its not like a figure he has plucked from thin air.

A quick look at the MOT notes says "front exhaust system has a major leak of exhaust gases". It does not go into further detail as to what the problem is.

Reply to
Beck