Volvo 240 intermittent starting

Hi all,

It's been a while since I last wrote anything here, mostly for the reason my 1990 Volvo 240 has been working without much of problems.

However, during last winter it developed an intermittent starting problem --- it cranks fine but it just won't start. In the spring --- it was in a shelter over the winter --- the first time I attempted to start it, it would take some two minutes of cranking and turning the key to off position several times between the tries before the engine started running. First hesitantly, but after some 15 seconds it ran fine.

It has showed similar symptoms a few more times since that, usually when it has been without use for days.

I vaguely remember hearing a few bangs in the exhaust back in the spring but I'm not fully certain about it. Both of the fuel pumps are fine; the in-tank pump was replaced during the past summer.

I didn't hear any fuel pump noise before cranking. Shouldn't it run the pumps for a few seconds when you turn the ignition key away from the "off" position?

It's got B200F with JetTronic 2.4 AFAIR.

Any ideas where I should start looking for the problem?

Kind regards,

Reply to
Sakari Ailus

You'll hear the pump for a second *after* you release the key from the start position. May even have to hang your head under the car to hear it. Cranking for more than a few seconds is futile. If it doesn't fire, release the key and try again. There probably is a cold start circuit that richens the mixture, I dunno... Living in sunny Southern California, never have to deal with cold. Fresh plugs, cap, rotor, and wires (need good spark). Fuel filters replaced? (need fuel for that good spark.) New air filter?

My '83 can sit unused for weeks & stone cold, still starts second try. When they work, they work good.

Reply to
clay

I've debugged it up to the point I can say with a good certainty the culprit can be found below the glove box --- probably either of the control units or the fuel pump relay has developed a cracked soldering somewhere.

And how would I know? I cranked it for several minutes without any hint of starting and a knocking the panel on the left side made start immediately.

I've so far resoldered the fuel pump relay; let's see if that helps.

It would't be the first time on this car; the odometer had a similar issue.

Regards,

Reply to
Sakari Ailus

Clean the relay contacts while you are at it.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

That was my method of signaling a turn until I resoldered the turn signal relay. Flip the signal, one hand on the wheel, and one hand beating the console panel. Fortunately, the turn signal relay was on the driver side or it would have really required some contortion.

Reply to
clay