Volvo 240 Rear Light lense

Hi,

I got into a reverse accident this morning. The main thing damaged in my faithful 240 (1990 model) was the rear light glass. The Main rear brake light glass and the white plate glass are broken. The body metal area looks slightly creased. But doesn't seem to be any serious problems. Maybe the exhaust pipe area got cracked- I thought I smelt some fumes in the car- but I can't tell for certain.

I called up the wreckers and they said they don't have any 240 (1990 models)- but do have 244s 240 1983 models etc.. A rear tail light glass will cost about $11. (Not too sure whether they mean the whole thing or just one part).

My mechanic wants to charge $120 for a 2nd hand model.

Nonetheless, I will go tomorrow to check them out and see whether they match.

But can someone tell me whether the rear tail light of the 244 or a 240 1983 model will be ok?

Any comments?

Thanks Wilde

Reply to
Wylie Wilde

Wylie Wilde wrote: : Hi,

[...]

ya, they will... less that do some milk carton + epoxy and wait till the right one comes along... don't hurry unless you want a dealer's $200+ version.... does your state have inspection?

best... no biggy

: Thanks : Wilde

Reply to
AND Books

IPD sells several lens replacements;

Refer to this link, and see if you can find something.

they even sell the entire lighting assembly.

Reply to
zencraps

Thanks Books,

What I meant to say was that the wreckers which had possible replacements

240 1983 models- were selling them for $11.

However my automechanic wanted to charge me $120 for a second hand model.

I will go to the wreckers and see if they have a suitable model. $11 is ok.

Reply to
Wylie Wilde

: Thanks Books,

: What I meant to say was that the wreckers which had possible replacements : 240 1983 models- were selling them for $11.

: However my automechanic wanted to charge me $120 for a second hand model.

: I will go to the wreckers and see if they have a suitable model. $11 is ok.

that's a great plan... *always* support your local yard... *never* support your local dealer... i've scrap-epoxied all kinds of lenses from 544s to

240s... its fun... watch-out for the rubber seals to keep the rainwater out!!!

90% of all volvo repairs is not necessary... the other 10% is unavoidable never be in a hurry, and feel free to beg for help from repair shops that you trust... like reseating ball-joints, or spot-welding the catalytic converter release bolt (instead of replacing it)... my avg annual repair is

Reply to
AND Books

Reply to
Wylie Wilde

Great news. I went to the Spare Yard car parts. I immediately saw a ok 240

1983 model. Pulled out the left hand tail light- but found that it had a cracked lense. Then I wasted so time trying to fit the right hand tail light into the left side.

After a while, I went for a walk- and found several 240s 1990s a further distance away. Should have done a walk around at the start! (Seems the lefthand tail light is a popular item- and most of them were taken).

I settled for a ok but dirt covered tail light. I didn't want to clean off too much of the mud for fear that the car yard owner might demand more money off me.

In the event, he charged me $21 for it - which included several bulbs. That was a damn sight better than the offer of $120 my mechanic made.

It didn't take too long to fit into my Volvo. I drove it home, removed it again, and gave it a good clean. It looks perfect now.

I also picked up the long black plastic strip that fits in the section under the doors. It was covered in red clay - a point I made to the car yard salesperson by sticking the cruddy looking bit thru the shop window at him. He didn't want to touch it- and sold it to me for $5. Just got to buy the clips for it now.

Anyhow know where I can pick up the clips?

Reply to
Wylie Wilde

FCP Groton has the best price. My local independent shop wanted $1.98 each. Complete set is 26.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson