Volvo 240 Seats

Hi all, Anyone know where I could find a seat replacements for a 240? I'm in the Greensboro, NC area.

Thanks

Reply to
tlr1000

May want to give these two locations in Atlanta a shot:

joe

Reply to
Joe

Should have added, not sure what is wrong withyou seats, but replacement foam is available from many sources including:

and here is a URL for the most verbose Volvo links I have found:

joe

Reply to
Joe

The foam should be even easily repairable. I haven't done it (yet, a pair of extra seats is waiting for that) and instructions are available on the web. At least in Finnish... ;)

Reply to
Sakari Ailus

It is to a point, but when it gets old and worn enough it just kinda crumbles.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm in Burlington just east of you and can get you seats or any other part you may need Give me a call# 336 212 1005 Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

My drivers seat back is crooked and the fabric is worn out. Both seats have padding falling out. I got quotes from upholstery places and its about 500 bucks a seat so I am trying to find decent replacements.

Reply to
tlr1000

Yeah the foam is expensive. Finding used seats in better shape shouldn't be hard, but you'll probably have to do a bit of fixing to make them nice. New upholstery is not horribly expensive if the rest of the stuff is in good shape.

Reply to
James Sweet

I've been pondering repairing/replacing my upholstery torn, foam crumbled, lumbar broke, seat but can't see spending 4-500 to do it. That's more than my annual maintenance and repair bills. (Did I mention my Volvo has been very inexpensive to run/maintain? *g*) I figure any old seat will do, as long as it fits between the transmission tunnel and rocker panel. Corbeau's are only 250-300.

Wondering..? Would later Volvo seats fit? Probably more likely to find a clean pair in the boneyard than decent 240 seats... I can make the mounting brackets work.

Reply to
clay

240 seats are unique, later models use wider seats that won't fit. It's still not hard to find decent used seats to mix and match parts to build some good ones. The foam underside deteriorates and the wire basket supporting it cuts in as well as the basket falls apart and springs come off. I've had good luck repairing these, and usually stick a piece of wood or heavy cardboard on the basket, wrap several layers of duct tape over it, then put the foam back on. Sounds ghetto I know, but it's hidden and it makes the seat feel like new again for several years. Another trick is the foam from a passenger seat will fit the driver's seat, and it's usually in better shape. Junkyards around here have the seats for 15 bucks, so I can usually find decent ones to get foam and other bits from.
Reply to
James Sweet

The lumbar/back rest on my 240 is broken- probably a spring that broke- and my back would love having more support. Sounds like what you're describing is probably just the ticket. I've never taken car seats apart; are there some reasonable directions for this somewhere?

Thanks!

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Mine too, thanks to a speed bump (and a fat ass...) And the spring/wire bits are all over the rear footwell. There's a nice photo tootorial floating around the internet, maybe even a pdf. I have a link@home I'll post if someone doesn't post it before then.

Reply to
clay

I think IPDUSA.com (?i think) has lumbar repair kits.

There might be, I dunno. I just dug into one and found it wasn't difficult. The hardest part is figuring out how to get the recliner knob off, there's two different types of retainer on that. The upholstery is held on by wire loops, I cut those with a heavy pair of wire cutters and replace them with nylon zip ties.

Reply to
James Sweet

They do, but if you can get a good junkyard seat it'll probably be cheaper, and you'll get other useful bits. Either way the tricky part is getting the thing apart, then back together, but it's within the realm of an amature with some patience.

Reply to
James Sweet

IPDUSA has them but they are expensive. I think I'll just get used to sitting crooked.

Reply to
tlr1000

IPD prices on the seat foam are ridiculous.

Why not just get some good used passenger seats and take the foam from them?

Reply to
James Sweet

Those same type metal rings are used on hog farms in the US and maybe elsewhere. They are clamped into the pigs snouts to prevent them from rooting as they are feed and do not need to forage, as they would if in the wild. Some old habits are hard to break.

joe

Reply to
Joe