volvo 240 tires

I have noted that it is very common for the front wheels of a 240 to wear on the outside more heavily than on the inside. I first noticed this on my car, and then noticed it on many other volvo in the area that I inspected.

I probobly look like such a creep, but I always feel a need to check out other 240s, and compare them to mine when I walk past them. It must be some kind of male competition gene.

In any case has anybone else noted this? Is it an alignment thing? should I even bother. The tire pressure is correct.

On a side note does the 240 take other tire sizes than a 185 70 and other rim sizes than a 14 Like the 205 tire and 15r rim from a 740 turbo I believe

Reply to
vinvo

Incorrect camber will cause wear on the inside or outside of the tire depending on which way it's off. Incorrect camber can be caused by worn a-arm bushings or just bad alignment. If the car is over 10 years old, I would suspect the bushings. Look at the tie-rod ends, ball joints and wheel bearings also. Have everything checked out/repaired and get an alignment. BTW: camber is adjusted on the top of the strut towers.

The 240 Turbo 1983-1985 used a 15 inch rim. I have 205/60/15s on my 245. Check out:

Look for a 15 inch tire that has the same height as your current tire. A

195/60/15 is the same as the 185/70/14.
Reply to
Brick_0

Mine wear fine. Worn suspension parts are likely at fault.

Oh - inflation makes a difference too.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Hi "vinvo",

I put !5" Volvo "Turbo" rims on our '93 240 "Classic" wagon, shod with

205/60/15 Michelin X-Ones. Works fine.

Andy I. (Formerly owned '58 445 wagon; '65 122S wagon; '67 121 2-Door; '74

145 wagon; '74 142; '86 245 wagon.)

Reply to
brackenburn

You will wear the outer shoulders of the front tires if you normally corner briskly. You can minimize this by having both the camber and toe-in set to the low end of specs.

Reply to
Mike F

The non-turbo wagons use a larger size (185R14) with a higher load rating.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Brick_0

Reply to