Volvo 240 wagon 1989 trans?!?!?

Greetings. I have a volvo 240 wagon that I bought this past fall. I need to take it in to get the exhaust redone on it, but I have noticed a problem in the past couple weeks. My good friend the car doesn't seem to want to shift gears (automatic, BTW) as timely as he used to.

The biggest problems are when first starting out, especially in reverse, and on hills. No problems what-so-ever on the highways (knock on wood), but it is getting to be a point of concern when starting off or going in reverse.

I am approaching a decision... how much more do I put into the car? I just replaced the rear brakes, and aside from a few "quirks" (pwr windows, etc.), my volvo has run great. Any ideas what's going on with my car? I just had an oil change and all the fluids topped, the trans. fluid was full before and full now. The shifting problems started up before the oil/fluids change. Oh, and the infamous "overdrive disabled" light has been on since I got the car, who knows how long before that... Inspection is nearly due, I need help!

Thanks, ~Z

Reply to
Zensor

With as dead easy as it is to fix the overdrive why don't you resolder or replace the relay and then go from there? Driving it like that will absolutely kill your fuel economy and you'll pay for a relay many times over.

Beyond that try lubing the kickdown cable, if it's binding the car will be sluggish to shift.

Reply to
James Sweet

IMHO a 240 is good for at least 250000 miles or more.

Well, the odds are that the last point is just a dead OD relay, which is a quick fix. Usually there is a cracked solder joint or two on the circuit borad, easily fixed with a soldering iron. Or for that matter it's an easy replacement- take you no more than 30 minutes your first time and 15 or less if you ever have to do it again.

Have your tranny given a basic servicing. There are some little ball bearing type things that are involved in controlling the shifts, and they get a little beaten up and eventually need to be replaced. 'Tis pretty cheap IIRC.

If you post whereabouts you live, maybe someone here can recommend a good mechanic.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

That is unusual - I assume you have the Aisin-Warner transmission (with the overdrive control button near your thumb), and those are nearly indestructible.

If the transmission fluid hasn't been changed lately, that is a good start. There is a procedure for that, while most shops have a flushing machine they are anxious to use so it can pay for itself ;-) Draining and refilling will only replace part of the fluid so it needs the flush one way or another. I have also had better shifting since I added a bottle of Lucas transmission conditioner to the fluid, but to each their own. Clean fluid is a big improvement anyway.

As the others say, the OD relay ought to fix up the locked out overdrive.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I replaced (flushed) the atf last fall at 62,000 miles on my 88 240dl in the recommended manner. Is there any need to service the filter as described in the bently manual?

Ed

Reply to
Ed